Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I'm really in trouble here, and I'm hoping someone in here, can help me in the right direction. I just bought at new HP DV7-2195 laptop computer, with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 on HP Laptop

Hi there.

I'm really in trouble here, and I'm hoping someone in here, can help me in the right direction.

I just bought at new HP DV7-2195 laptop computer, with only one purpose; I want to use it as primary computer, running Fedora 11. I have previously worked a little with Linux, but never got really good at it.

The graphics-card in this computer is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, and it really seems impossible to me, to get it working in Linux. I can easily install Fedora 11, but it defaults to a resolution at 1024x768, with no higher options - and the screen is 17.3" widescreen, so I of course would like a resolution of 1600x900, which the graphics card should be able to support.

The ATI-website (ati.amd.com) have a couple of different catalysts, but none of them supports this specific graphics card. I have tried using the one that supports the same graphics card, just not in the mobility-version, and as soon as I restart X, the screen goes blank.

Can it really be, that this is impossible? Is there no generic driver, that can just allow me to use the 1600x900-resolution on my laptop? Or any other way to make it work?

I have tried everything I could imagine, and am really desperate for some usefull help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Welcome to the forums!

Before giving up I'd try and figure out why the screen goes black. How about switching to a console and looking at Xorg log? Xorg has a myriad of options, maybe playing with them will get you the picture?

Google tells you must have PCI_MSI option enabled in the kernel to make ATI drivers work with this card.

Just Joined!
    First of all; thank you for you reply. It is very comforting reading, that I don't have to give up all hopes just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Before giving up I'd try and figure out why the screen goes black. How about switching to a console and looking at Xorg log? Xorg has a myriad of options, maybe playing with them will get you the picture?
    I will try that. But right now I am sitting with a black-screen machine. Can you save me a couple of hours re-installing, by telling me if there is a way to boot up directly into shell, instead of starting X?

Google tells you must have PCI_MSI option enabled in the kernel to make ATI drivers work with this card.
    I've read a lot about the subject here and there, but this I haven't stumpled on. Can you please specify how I do this from shell, or maybe link me to an explanation?

Thank you again.

You don't have to boot to shell, you can access console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 when X is running.

Just Joined!
    You don't have to boot to shell, you can access console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 when X is running.
    Ah I see! You just saved me many hours of re-installing.

I've tried to add the pci_msi-module with modprobe, but it answers that it cannot find the module... I'm way in over my head here. I very well understand if you don't want to spend time helping a noob like me, but can you then please point me to somewhere, where I can get the info I need?

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
    this file contains X startup messages, may be very helpful, overwritten every time X starts;

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    X configuration file, make sure sync and refresh meet your monitor capabilities;

/proc/config.gz
    kernel configuration file for reference, gzipped;

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep PCI_MSI
    this command will answer the question whether this option is enabled.

Quick note that its possible there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is Fedora 11, or if it's there, it may be pretty sparsely populated. The newer xserver doesn't require the file. In theory it's able to autodetect everything. Obviously, that doesn't always happen correctly, though most the time it does. I don't use Fedora at all, so I'm not sure how it does things.

Your card should work ok using the open source ATI drivers. They don't support 3D acceleration, only 2D, but otherwise it should work fine. I would guess that currently it's defaulting to the Vesa driver.

I have no idea what the package is called in Fedora. In Arch, you would want the xf68-video-radeon package. It would probably be something like xserver-xorg-video-radeon in Fedora.

Review: Fedora 11 Faith and Freedom

Thanks for note about xorg.conf. If there is no conf file and X autoconfigures erroneously you can still create one and Xorg will honor it when loading.
    I do not know whether OSS driver supports this card, it has the latest RV770 chip.

@reed9
    Thank you for taking care of this thread, I'm unable to participate in these forums from now on.