Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was using Slackware and i used the hwaddr parameter and it seems like it broke my startup internet connection, but also changed the MAC address of my wireless card. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

make a permanent MAC Address change for NIC

I was using Slackware and i used the hwaddr parameter and it seems like it broke my startup internet connection, but also changed the MAC address of my wireless card. I have an IBM Atheros card but it is now set to a Phillips device. I am looking for a way to change it back and have found MAC spoofing, but I need to make it permanent for both Linux and Windows so i need to access the card directly.

So is there a way to overwrite the cards mac address?

Linux User
    If log files will show just how slackware changed the MAC address, you should be able to change it back the same way. I don't use slackware (yet), but if it could do it, it can be redone.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!
    Well I completely removed Slackware, so I don't have any log files.
    Would it be a good idea trying to re-do it with a new install?

Linux User
    You can change it by using ifconfig, and making sure that the change is saved-probably in /proc or /etc in the relevant files.

Just Joined!
    this doesn't solve my problem completely. Windows still uses the built-in MAC. I know Windows can fake the address too but I would like it to be permanently changed back on the device in case someone wants to use this computer in the future, and needs the mac to be what it is on the case.

Linux User
    The best thing to do would be to re-install slackware then, and use hwaddr to reset it back to original specs.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    AFAIK the hardware MAC address cannot be altered permanently since MAC addresses are registered to the manufacturer who burns them into the ROM on their devices. That's why when you changed the MAC address in firmware (EPROM, flash, or similar), the system thought the manufacturer had changed also. A good example of "caveat user"! You should be able to reset the card to original settings easily enough. Not sure how with Windows though. You can boot a Slackware liveCD and reset it with hwaddr I suspect. That might be the simplest solution for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Well, what other ways are there? I wouldn't mind trying.

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to reinstall Slackware but it's giving me problems. So could you please let me know any other ways? It's looking like Slackware isn't going to be reinstalled.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I know that in my CentOS system I can change or restore the MAC address in the Administration -> Network Configuration tool. I think you can do that from just about any LiveCD that you can boot - probably don't need to install it at all if you don't want.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!