Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is on Ubuntu 9.04. Both, / (root) and /home are formatted as ext4. I would like to convert them to ext3, if possible, without loss of data on them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to convert ext4 to ext3 (if possible) ?

This is on Ubuntu 9.04.

Both, / (root) and /home are formatted as ext4. I would like to convert them to ext3, if possible, without loss of data on them. How can this be done ?

(Attached is file with HD & partition details, fdisk -l. Linux is installed on /dev/sdb HD).

TIA,
    Attached Files Attached Files

How to convert ext4 to ext3 (if possible) ?

Quote Originally Posted by zmdmw52 View Post
    This is on Ubuntu 9.04.

Both, / (root) and /home are formatted as ext4. I would like to convert them to ext3, if possible, without loss of data on them. How can this be done ?

(Attached is file with HD & partition details, fdisk -l. Linux is installed on /dev/sdb HD).

TIA,
    Sorry, but converting back to ext3 is not possible without wiping the partitions and starting over with new partitions and selecting ext3. You can see this article on it located here kernelnewbies.org/Ext4

BTW why do you want to go back to ext3? I'm running on ext4 and find it much faster! I have not had any problems at all with my openSUSE 11.2 M5

Cheers!

Just Joined!
    The ext4 partitions are for Ubuntu 9.04 (/ & /home are both ext4). This PC is a multi-boot setup w/ Windows XP, Fedora 10 & Ubuntu 9.04, with Fedora 10 partitions both ext3. On booting into Fedora 10 and also at shutdown, there are error messages about not being able to mount/unmount the ext4 partitions properly. At shutdown it goes into text console with repeated messages about being unable to unmount the ext4 partitions (have to re-start the PC manually as it hangs at that point).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close