Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Im am a complete newbie to linux, but i am really enjoying finding out about it and doing research. i've read loads of books, and take as much time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dark screen on loading gnome, using asus x50gl notebook

Hi
    Im am a complete newbie to linux, but i am really enjoying finding out about it and doing research. i've read loads of books, and take as much time as i can to have a play and investigate what i can about such an awsome OS (having formally been a Microsoft zombie for the past 12 years!!)
    I have no experience with programming or anything technical, however i am about to attend college to do a computer tech course and hopefully move onto university! i do posses a very good understanding of computers but only microsofts os'.

Anyway... i have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Asus x50gl (good luck finding it online as even Asus' website dosent seem to know this laptop exists!)

I have installed it as a dual boot alongside vista(for the time being) however when i load up into the gnome desktop, my screen is very dark, and can see pretty much nothing on the desktop. I have had a look to see if the drivers are installed for the, nvidia geforce 8200m g, graphics card, but to no avail!

if there is anyone able to help me that would be great!
    As i have said i am a complete newbie(to linux distos), but have such an eagerness/enthusiasm to learn as much as i can about linux/unix as poss!

thanks for your time!

AJ
    Last edited by ajlinuxnewbie; 08-13-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo and graphics card update