Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there anyway to detect if a dvd burner supports burning dual layer dvd's without googling drive models etc. I've tried looking at dmesg and using programs like dvdrecord -checkdevice ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to detect if a drive supports burning Dual Layer DVD's

Is there anyway to detect if a dvd burner supports burning dual layer dvd's without googling drive models etc. I've tried looking at dmesg and using programs like dvdrecord -checkdevice and others and have found no way to determine if a particular drive supports it.

Are there any commands that will tell if the drive is capable?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Which Linux version+distribution and which desktop manager (and version) are you using?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you have k3b on your system, start it up, go to Settings -> Configure k3b -> Devices. It will show what CD/DVD drives you have and whether they support DL writing or not.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If you have k3b on your system, start it up, go to Settings -> Configure k3b -> Devices. It will show what CD/DVD drives you have and whether they support DL writing or not.
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm using RHEL 5.2 with no window manager and was looking for some sort of command line program that could tell me. Though I may be able to look at K3B and figure out how they do it.

Thanks

K3b is a KDE tool. Very nice for making copies. Not sure what it uses to get the info about the drives.