Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Exiting X to install nVIDIA driver

I downloaded the nVIDIA driver for my video card but it says that I need to exit the X window system to do that, but I don't know how.

I see that "Ctrl + Alt + F1" is the terminal that is running X, so I went to "Ctrl + Alt + F2" but it still said X is rinning, even though it was in a different terminal.

NH, USA
    Switching to a different VT doesn't stop X from running, you have to stop X with your display manager in a VT.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What distribution of Linux are you using? If it is RedHat/Fedora/Centos or derived from such, then you need to change your /etc/inittab initdefault entry to runlevel 3 instead of 5 and reboot the system. That will boot you into a standard console (no X server running) where you can login as root and run the nVidia installer. Then, change the runlevel back to 5 and reboot again. Change this line in /etc/inittab:
    to this
    Then reboot, login as root, and run the nVidia installer. After that, set it back to
    and reboot.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    I figured it out already, I just wasn't in time to post.

The reason I am installing an nVIDIA driver now is that the Radeon driver would not work and Rubberman said he uses nVIDIA and they have good Linux support, so I got an nVIDIA card from another computer and it installed quite easily once I figured out the turn off X thing.

Anyway I finally have working graphics acceleration and can start setting up Fedora on my computer.