Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone: This is my first time in here and for me Linux is really a new experience. I have a few questions ( actually a lot of questions but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Finding a second hard drive:

Hello everyone: This is my first time in here and for me Linux is really a new experience. I have a few questions ( actually a lot of questions but will ask two for now) and hope I am not out of order asking them in one post. My first question is I have 2 hard drivers in my computer a Master and a Slave and in Windows I know how to fine them but in Linux I am lost and could anyone tell me how to find the second drive if it can be done? Second, I just installed a Cannon Scanner and would like to know if I have to install any software or drivers to make it work? Thank You for any help and everyone have a great day. Bye Don

Hello donnor1 and welcome to Linux

What distribution of Linux did you choose? Have you installed it yet or are you running from the Live CD?
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Hello Kieren and how are you doing? I have installed Xbuntu as my only Operating System and I know is when I downloaded it it was just called Xbuntu, not sure what version. I hope this aswswers your question and if not how do I fine out actually what version I am using? Again Thank You. Don.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm good thanks. Your second hard drive should be mounted already but let's check to make sure. What is the output of:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Linux User #453176

Linux User
    When you are booting the computer, it should show something like this:
    title Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-24-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-24-generic root=UUID=de57233b-b6d5-42bc-b61b-0c1584f6a131 ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic root=UUID=de57233b-b6d5-42bc-b61b-0c1584f6a131 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-23-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic root=UUID=de57233b-b6d5-42bc-b61b-0c1584f6a131 ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-23-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-22-generic
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-22-generic root=UUID=de57233b-b6d5-42bc-b61b-0c1584f6a131 ro quiet splash
    That will show which version you have.
    The above was actually the result of:
    Code:
    sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    which also works.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!

finding second hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Hal343 View Post
    That will show which version you have.
    The above was actually the result of:
    Code:
    sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    which also works.
    Hello Hal343 and thank you for the info. OK I did what you said and not sure if the information you need but it says I have Version 9.04 along with all that other stuff. I tried a couple of things like when I started my computer I pressed TAB and it showed there was a Master and a Slave hard drive and then somehow I got into I guess the BIOS where I had a list of choices which the first one was boot normal. The other stuff I had no clue what they meant. I just cannot figure why it's so hard to fine my drivers. I have tried clicking on just about every thing is "Appplications and Places" hoping somewhere it will show my main drive and the slave for I can but data on the second hard drive. Anyway I am still lost on how to find these drives. I love this Operation System but and will keep trying and would appreciate any other help. Thank You donnor.

Linux User
    On my installation if I click on places-home it shows all of my partitions, even the ones on my usb drive.They are in a panel to the left of the home panel, with the name places above it. Open a terminal and use the code that Kieran posted above. That should list the other drive. Then you should be able to use the information to identify which drive is which under places-home.
    Last edited by Hal343; 08-21-2009 at 06:01 AM. Reason: mistake
    Registered Linux User #420832