Find the answer to your Linux question:
With Ubuntu 9.04, GNOME desktop, I use a Seagate FreeAgent Go (160 GB) External HD for backups. Is it safe to remove the external HD by clicking on 'Unmount' in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount/Unmount Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Disk in Linux

With Ubuntu 9.04, GNOME desktop, I use a Seagate FreeAgent Go (160 GB) External HD for backups.

Is it safe to remove the external HD by clicking on 'Unmount' in the Nautilus side pane ?
    After clicking 'Unmount', the orange light on the ext HD still glows, so I was wondering if it is safe to remove it with the 'Unmount' menu cmd, with the orange light still on - or will this result in data loss ?
    (So far no problems with this type of unmounting with the light still on, but this HD is new & I have used it only a couple of times)

oz
    forum.guy
    If the drive unmounts properly and shows to no longer be mounted, it shouldn't hurt to unplug the drive even though the light is still on. You will hear the drive spin down, but from all that I've read on this subject, this doesn't hurt the drive, or cause any data loss.

I've used a short script in the past to spin external drives down like they do in Windows, but can't seem to find it at this time. I'll post it here should I run across the script.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm still unable to locate the script that I was using, but if you search the web you can find one that should work. I was using sdparm for spinning the drives down before uplugging them, but again, all that I've read indicates that the drives are not hurt by simply unplugging them once they have been properly unmounted.
    oz