Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wanted to upgrade my Linux box with an HP dc7900 dual core 3Ghz with the latest Fedora load. I searched the web and seen that a few people have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hp dc7900

I wanted to upgrade my Linux box with an HP dc7900 dual core 3Ghz with the latest Fedora load. I searched the web and seen that a few people have had issues with ACPI and some others with the machine randomly powering off. Has anyone had any issues with Fedora on this hardware or know if Fedora works ok on one of these machines out of the box?

Thanks

vm

I think this is the part where you download Fedora and try it any ways. You can always disable acpi with ease if it starts giving you a hard time, and besides that, if Fedora did release some funky code that doesn't work right, it surely has been patched by now.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I haven't purchased the machine yet. I researched to see if anyone has had issues, I found some posts that did. I wanted to see if anyone has a box like I want that is not having issues before spending $$. I don't want the machine unless it works well with Linux, I have enough machines already. I am hoping any issues have been patched, the machine looks pretty nice.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx View Post
    I wanted to upgrade my Linux box with an HP dc7900 dual core 3Ghz with the latest Fedora load. I searched the web and seen that a few people have had issues with ACPI and some others with the machine randomly powering off. Has anyone had any issues with Fedora on this hardware or know if Fedora works ok on one of these machines out of the box?

Thanks

vm
    you use any version of Linux?

Just Joined!
    I like Fedora and would probably go with the latest version if it works. I am on FC 8 now, which works on my 2Ghz box, but I would like to stay current if I get a new more powerful machine.

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx View Post
    I like Fedora and would probably go with the latest version if it works. I am on FC 8 now, which works on my 2Ghz box, but I would like to stay current if I get a new more powerful machine.
    You don't need to have the latest and greatest hardware to run Fedora, it helps a lot but is not required.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I finally found a good deal on the box I wanted. Fedora 11 loaded with no problems, sound, video, print, works well. VNCserver gives an error when first launched but works great after that..