Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have installed Red Hat Enterprise 5.3. My sound card is not working. I have realtek HD Audio Card installed in windows xp. Please anybody can help me... Ram...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Audio problem

Hi,
    I have installed Red Hat Enterprise 5.3. My sound card is not working. I have realtek HD Audio Card installed in windows xp. Please anybody can help me...
    Ram

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What sound subsystem are you using? ALSA or OSS? You will have better results with ALSA. Also, you need to run the mixer and move the PCM setting to the top. Often when the sound system is installed this is set to the bottom (off) and you get no sound. Also, if you have multiple sound output ports (front and rear), you will need to turn up the appropriate setting. In my KDE mixer (KMIX), I have my PCM and Front slides set to the top.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thanks for reply.
    I have multiples sound ports (front and rear both). How to switch off rear pannel? I dont know about ALSA or OSS, I just install red hat with one DVD. How can I install all those packages and from where?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by raguelmoon View Post
    thanks for reply.
    I have multiples sound ports (front and rear both). How to switch off rear pannel? I dont know about ALSA or OSS, I just install red hat with one DVD. How can I install all those packages and from where?
    For RHEL/CentOS/FC you use the yum package manager. They have a GUI but I prefer to use the command line. To see what packages are available, from a command line (as root or sudo) run the command "yum list". As for the front/rear panel connectors, if your mixer doesn't have a settable "rear" control, then set "front" to max and see if you get output there.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!