Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Dimension E 520 with many issues, but if I put in music and photo CDs, isn't some evidence of them supposed to show up somewhere? What's the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD drives not read in 9.04

I have a Dimension E 520 with many issues, but if I put in music and photo CDs, isn't some evidence of them supposed to show up somewhere? What's the code for finding them, and why they aren't detected? Thanx!

I don't run 9.04 Ubuntu so all I can suggest is when you insert the cd does a icon appear on your Desktop that looks like a CD Disk and if so, right click and select properties and see what program is supposed to open it.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    That's just it: the symbol used to appear with 8.04, but nothing appears in 9.04 (and it's Kubuntu, by the way.) Also, shouldn't it show up in home somewhere?

Ubuntu 9.10 should be released in 2 days. I have never been fond of Ubuntu 9.04 as I run intel Video and 9.04 seemed buggy to me. If your 9.04 isa new install, I might suggest you go with 9.10 Karmic as so far I have heard good things on the net about it. Sorry I cn't be of more help. It looks like your CDROM drive isn't being mounted in 9.04 for some strange reason. Data CDs don't show also?

Ubuntu:Jaunty -

What do you get with

Code:
    sudo mount -t  /dev/hdc  /media/cdrom0
    Like I said, I don;t run Ubuntu so I aint sure if above command may work for ya.

You can also type in

Code:
    ls -la /media
    To locate your cdrom. Post that output in your next post if sticking with 9.04.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 10-27-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home