Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Getting HP Scanjet G2410 scanner working in Linux

My old scanner stopped working fairly recently so I got a replacement. This time I got a HP Scanjet G2410 flatbed scanner ... thinking its an HP and must be well supported in Linux .

After quite some searching I came across this, and downloaded the zip file from here. The scanner seems to work fine with just the contents of the hp2400.tgz extracted and put in /usr/lib/sane .

Looking at the contents of some of the files it appears that HP have developed this at some point but don't publish it not even with a this may work but we won't support it discaimer.

I did start working through this but was not sure if I had to upload firmware to the scanner and could not find relevant information from the drive CD supplied with the scanner.

Anyway, I thought I would share incase it helps others ...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I sounds like you got it working with the unsupported hp2400.tgz sane driver file(s). SANE is a standard scanner interface that is supported by most scanners these days, much like VESA is a standard graphics interface that works with just about any video controller. In either case, the standard will let you use the device, but cannot support all the capabilities of high-end devices, which is why there are device-specific drivers and support software. Unfortunately, a lot of the world still revolves solely around Windows and Linux is just a poor country cousin, to be ignored until they strike oil on the north 40 acres. HP is not a big supporter of Linux on their consumer hardware. Yes, they are a big Unix/Linux house when it comes to their big iron Itanium servers, but that is solely because their customers for those systems insist upon it.
    Last edited by Rubberman; 11-06-2009 at 02:44 AM.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

G2410 scanner working with Gentoo

I started this thread after getting the scanner working with Arch Linux. I decided this last weekend to get the scanner working with Crux and Gentoo as well. Crux worked using prt-get depinst sane xsane then installing the HP2400 drivers.

The HP drivers are available from here. Extracting the hp2400 information is sufficient, and the four files libsane-hp2400* need to be copied to /usr/lib/sane/

I emerged sane-backends and xsane thinking that would do what I needed but it didn't (running scanimage -L or xsane gave an error about undefined symbol sanei_usb_init). I needed to install sane-backends-1.0.21-r1 to get the scanner to work (which currently has ~x86 keyword).
    Having got it working I added
    Code:
    SANE_BACKENDS="hp"
    in /etc/make.conf because I don't need all the backends building .

Ed: I also created an overlay (/usr/local/portage) with sane-backends in, and edited the sane-backends-1.0.21-r1.ebuild to have keyword x86 instead of ~x86. After that I had to cd to the sane-backends folder in my overlay and run
    Code:
    ebuild sane-backends-1.0.21-r1.ebuild manifest
    Then I reinstalled from my overlay having added
    Code:
    source /usr/local/portage/make.conf
    to /etc/make.conf and created /usr/local/portage/make.conf with contents
    Code:
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY="
    /usr/local/portage
    $PORTDIR_OVERLAY
    "
    Not the most elegant solution ... but it works for me .
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 11-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just a quick update for anyone who is using this scanner ... I just did a fresh install because my desktop PC hardware failed so I am on 64 bit rather than 32 bit hardware ... the genesys driver now works with the scanner so I have no need to use the closed source HP version any more

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Great! So, what did you buy? And did you have any issues with UEFI secure boot?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Great! So, what did you buy? And did you have any issues with UEFI secure boot?
    Novatech barebones system ... Novatech Barebone Bundle - AMD FX-8 8350 - 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (2x4GB) - AMD 970A Motherboard - Novatech Tower Case & 750w PSU | BB-83508 I figure since the last desktop PC lasted about 12 years I'd go for it!
    Came without Windows so no problems with UEFI secureboot, I have not found the option to enable it in the bios setup.
    I had one problem with hardware - I thought I'd be able to use my graphics card but things have moved on quite a bit in the last 12 years so it did not even fit in the slot!
    Bios config wise I needed to either enable iommu or add iommu=soft as a kernel boot parameter ... either way seems to work, but it took me a little while to figure out, and one of the components which did not work until I did was the ethernet connection

The laptop I have came with Windows 8, which I don't use - I installed Linux on that and have secureboot enabled but sign my own kernel and bootloader. I have a backup of keys with Windows. You have to erase the keys in bios to enter setup mode and I only loaded my keys so Windows does not boot. For some reason whenever I toggled secure boot with the Windows keys loaded Windows tried to take over the machine, secure boot with no Windows keys cures that problem

Excellent! Thanks for the details.