Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings - I'm using Debian Lenny & gnome desktop. I have an older 32 MB NVidia video card that shipped with my Dell PIII. Anyways, this has happened to me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Losing video settings - NVidia

Greetings - I'm using Debian Lenny & gnome desktop. I have an older 32 MB NVidia video card that shipped with my Dell PIII.

Anyways, this has happened to me a few times. I start out with video settings set at some resolution that looks like 1280x1024 on my 17" monitor. This setting comes automatically with the install and I just leave it there. But Gnome doesn't last longer than a day or two before my resolution reverts to 800x600. Furthermore, when I go into my Screen Resolution Preferences, I have only 800x600 and 640x480 as options, and my refresh choices are 56 & 60 Hz.

Anyways, I haven't tried driver re-install yet, at this point I'm just wondering if this is a known issue. This machine is used primarily as a dev server, and dicking with the video drivers never seems to be a high priority, but I suppose I should try and solve it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I think that the version of the xorg server you are running with Lenny automatically detects what the card/monitor are capable of. I think your card is starting to fail. Have you considered getting a new video card? You can get a very nice nVidia card these days for under $100 USD that will provide much higher resolutions than 1280x1024 as well as support for multiple monitors.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks. I suppose I could get a new card. I certainly don't need anything fancy, I'm not a serious gamer or graphics guy. It's not even my main PC at the moment.

It all seems kind of flaky. When I booted up this morning I had the problem, then At one point I had hi-res at the login screen, but low res once I logged in. Then I had my resolution back, including all the options in video preferences, but no icons at all on my desktop.So I fiddled a bit with my video res and refresh and eventually my icons returned. Last time I checked it was ok.

Hmm I used this box for years with Windows and had no problem. Only in the last few months I've been playing with Linux have I had the problem. We'll see how it goes.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close