Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
It reached the Karmic to. I cannot write DVD at higher speed than 4X. This have happened already with Mandriva 2009.1. It says my Pioneer 111-D doesn't support higher speeds. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Curse of K3b

It reached the Karmic to. I cannot write DVD at higher speed than 4X. This have happened already with Mandriva 2009.1. It says my Pioneer 111-D doesn't support higher speeds. What a morons are writing stuffs?
    Any similar problem?

Another question: how to upgrade the writer's firmware without Windows?
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never had that issue with K3b in any distribution so not sure why it's happening to you, but maybe a firmware upgrade will help to solve the issue. You can take a look at DVRFlash as one option for upgrading firmware without Windows:

DVRFlash Home Page
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The discs themselves have information embedded in them that tell the writer software how fast they can be written to. So, even if your writer can write DVD's at 16x but your disc is only rated 4x, then k3b will only allow you to write at 4x. I use k3b daily and it is very good at detecting the media write capabilities.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

There are some hdparm issues. I'll try to solve them. Until now the K3b worked perfectly but the new version (bloody KDE4) makes errors. I know the speed of disks. The error is inside K3b or some of its libraries.
    Linux Usert#430188

oz
    forum.guy
    Some drives and firmware simply don't play well with certain media, but not sure that's happening in this issue. A firmware upgrade might be beneficial, either way.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ah. Well, I use KDE 3.5.4 - I haven't moved to KDE 4 yet. There may well be issues with k3b for kde 4 that I am not aware of.

Well, they've managed to f*** up the last stable thing in Linux, the CD/DVD burning. After hours of searching I've realised that they have destroyed the cdrtools in all KDE4 based Linux releases. And that was caused by some licensing warfare. So the wodim has been invented, and I can only write with x4 speed. Hey guys, I really love Linux, but I have a strong temptation to say that Linux, yes, my...your... our beloved Linux will NEVER be a match for Windows! This stupid, idiotic policy of "oh, we have all stable, lets make a fun with rewriting all, and see if anybody remains in!", I just cannot understand. My Pioneer 111D worked like a charm with the pre-KDE4 distros, and now I have a piece of junk! Thank you, almighty developers!
    Linux Usert#430188

Yeah. I haven't been happy with what I've been reading wrt. kde 4. I run kde 3.5.4 on CentOS 5.4 (8 core workstation) and Gnome on Ubuntu (laptops). I think I'm going to give KDE a big, wide, detour... To bad. I really like KDE 3.x

And you know what: ALL the burners are attracted to that wodim and cdrkit. It's not only DE issue. It ruins globally the stability of the Linux OS writing abilities, regardless to the desktop favor. Losers!
    Linux Usert#430188

Apparently Gentoo and OpenSuse ship the original cdrecord and not wodim.
    Cdrtools - why do Linux distributions create bad forks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast