Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'd really like to start using Linux, but I don't know much about it. I tried installing Mandriva One 2010, but it apparently isn't compatible with my laptop. Does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What distribution for Dell Latitude

Hi,

I'd really like to start using Linux, but I don't know much about it. I tried installing Mandriva One 2010, but it apparently isn't compatible with my laptop. Does anybody know what would be a good distribution to use with an old Dell Latitude CPx? I'd like to get a free bootable CD one for starters, if possible. I mainly would like to use it for surfing the Web. Thank you much.

jim

Post how much memory you have for ram so as easier to reccomend a distro for ya. Howdy and Welcome to the forums.

One recommend below.

Barry Kauler - Powered by PPLOG

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...-seamonkey.iso

Just save iso and burn a bootable iso image CD.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, jim!

It would be easier for someone to answer if you give us your machine specifications (CPU, RAM, HD, etc...).
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the reply. My RAM is 512 MB, 750 MHz, Pentium 3. I'll give Sea monkey a try. I really appreciate the help.

jim

oz
    forum.guy
    Xubuntu is a good lightweight distro that should run well on that machine. You can get a live CD to test it, or install directly with the alternate installer (text-installer).
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've always had good luck with Ubuntu on Dell Latitude laptops. I've run various versions on 3 of them now, as well as one Inspirion.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Thanks to the three of you for all the info. I read rokytnji's reply first, so I've been trying to get Seamonkey up and running. I haven't been able to get it to recognize my modum, but I'll see if I cant' find a Seamonkey part of the forum to post that question on. Thanks again for your help

jim

I would try Using Ozars and Rubbermans suggestions also as you have the ram to handle Xubuntu Comfortably. I run that distro also besides Puppy Dingo Seamonkey Iso on a IBM A22 with only 256 mb of ram but I also have a primary swap partition of 712 mb to make up for the low ram.

For Puppy linux forum for your modem/seamonkey iso questions join this forum below. By the way yiour operating system name is Puppy Dingo 4.
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: Index - Puppy Linux Discussion Forum

For Xubuntu I find that Xubuntu 8.10 runs good on older Hardware. You might try out Xubuntu 9.10 also.

Xubuntu 8.10 Alternate install download

Xubinti 9.10 Alternate install download

Good luck and have fun with your Dell and Linux.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    OK Barry, Real good. Thanks for the correction on the name. I guess I thought Seamonkey and Puppy were one in the same. What is Seamonkey anyway, a seperate distro?

I'll give Xubuntu and Xubinti a try once I get Puppy figured out. Thanks again for your help.

jim

Seamonkey is a browser like Internet Explorer put in simple terms. The seamonkey designation in the iso is for telling what browser version comes with the operating system.

The SeaMonkey Project
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home