Find the answer to your Linux question:
im just about to get an nvidia gforce 5200. i currently have a nvidia riva tnt2. i want the lest amount of trouble so im going to ask befor i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

switching vid cards

im just about to get an nvidia gforce 5200. i currently have a nvidia riva tnt2. i want the lest amount of trouble so im going to ask befor i do this.

what will i need to do for a smooth transfer?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

um a screw driver and a AGP slot

Just Joined!
    I think he was talking about the software end of things.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -.-
    well it was tough but i think i managed to find a screw driver, and it was long and hard, but i finaly located an AGP slot in India. now all i have to do is pay off the parachute and the rental of the elaphant.

no realy,
    i mean if i stick it in there, will fedora core 2 go ""uh oh, i dont know what to do. heres a command line and a working keyboard, figure it out yourself!"
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    Well you should try first and see what happens, sorry if im harsh but linux is a learning curve, you dont wont know untill you break it. but you should be fine swapping the card with little to no problems.

Just Joined!
    Going from one nVidia chipset card to another is a low risk change. Hold on to your old video card until you are sure the new one is properly installed and stable. You can switch back if there is a problem. If you don't have the latest nVidia Linux drivers installed, wait until after the new hardware is working. The key to success here is to make system alterations in a careful and deliberate manner, minimizing the number of variables as much as possible and keeping good records of the things you have done in case you have to undo them for some reason.

ya, it was very easy. i woulda thout it would be harder than that. i vust put it in and reconfigure xorg.conf (realy all it was, was putting nvidia in place of nv for the drivers again) and it was working just fine. thanks!