Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im using slackware 10 with the 2.6.8.1 kernel, and am getting horrible frame rates i think, while using the 9600SE. I was just wondering what anyone would rather use, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware FX5200 vs 9600SE

Im using slackware 10 with the 2.6.8.1 kernel, and am getting horrible frame rates i think, while using the 9600SE. I was just wondering what anyone would rather use, and am knowing that the 5200 is an older card than the 9600.

were you shure to get the proper drivers from nvidia?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

chose your proccessor and download the driver read through the readme on the page and be shure to notice where it mentions what moduels and other changes you need to make to your xfree86.conf or xorg.conf files. it says it on one of the appendixes near the mid bottom.

then open a console and type

init 3

(this will shut down the x desktop and throw you into the simple console)

then just navgate to the location of the file and type

sh (name of driver file)

when its all done it should start x all over again. if it doesnt then type [init 5] into a console

thats what i had to do to get my nvidia riva tnt2 card to do prper 3d exeleration. other wise all 3d is done by the cpu.

i dont think the 9600 would be better because i here (or read) that ati doesnt have very good support if any for there cards on linux.

i myself am very new to this whole linux thing so i dont know if this is perfectly correct but it should do it if this is in fact the problem.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    heh, thanks but i know how to install the drivers, its just hard if any to find bench marks for linux and vid cards, you can go of glxgears but i dont think the test results from that realy make a valid result on what card would be better.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    cant even get Slaware to recognise my Fx5200 - I down graded to GeForce2 MX400, if I manage to sort it i'll let you know