Find the answer to your Linux question:
I program 2gb usd disk in linux for embedded applications. We use ext2 / ext3 types of file system on the various partitions. Recently we faced an issue where the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk programming in Linux

I program 2gb usd disk in linux for embedded applications. We use ext2 / ext3 types of file system on the various partitions. Recently we faced an issue where the disk got corrupted to such a state that , we could not even recover it after doing a disk programming in linux pc using a disk programmer. Disk programming essentially does a mke2fs on the partitons and hence we loose all data. and the blocks are expected to return back to sane state. But in this case the disk remained in the corrupt state rendering disk r/w operations to fail.

HOWEVER, the same disk when i tried to format in Windows, it recovered fully and it was again capable of performing r/w operations.
    So my queries now are:
    1) How is the disk formatting operation different in Linux compared to Windows.?
    2) Is it possible to create ext2/ext3 file systems in Windows?

Thanks In advance

Hi

For your first question, I think that Linux rebuild the whole filesystem on the selected disk/partition and windows just erase the datas on it.

For your second question, I think that some advanced partition managers like PartitionMagic (Partition Magic Download - Partition Software - Partition Hard Drive | Norton PartitionMagic) can do these partitions, but this will not be useful because I think that ms windows is only able to performs IO on dos, fat12/16/32, ntfs partition types.

chris81