Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i've got a device which runs linux that i'd like to add more features to, but though i'm not new to linux i'm new to the device hacking scene ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

device hacking - ms408d pvr

hi, i've got a device which runs linux that i'd like to add more features to, but though i'm not new to linux i'm new to the device hacking scene and could use advice on the best methods for setting up a development envionrment and safely getting access to the user space.
    I get that doing this stuff voids the warranty (blah blah) but i do have the source code for the modified kernel from the manufacturer, so loading a new distro with a new UI is not out of the question for this bad boy.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A lot depends upon the answers to the following questions:

1. What is the processor used by the device?
    2. Are there any special (proprietary) hardware in use?
    3. What distribution+version of linux is the device running?
    4. What about source code for the proprietary hardware drivers?

There are a number of sites for hacking popular devices such as Linksys routers that run Linux. They can help a lot in your search for information on how to set up a development system to do this. I strongly suggest that you do a lot more study and research before you begin to mung with your device.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    i'm not looking to change the device until i understand how to restore it if anything goes wrong.
    i've got the source code for the kernel that runs the system, all the drivers are included.
    i'm in the process of tying to pry the root password from the manufacturer, as it allows telnet access. if it has a user space i might be able to hack it without too much trouble

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    They might not want to divulge the root password since that would likely be the access default for everything in the field. However, it should not be a major problem to change the one on your unit without affecting anything else.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!