Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 9.10. I have Nvidia GForce7050/nforce 610i video card so I installed the Nvidia Version 173 driver from the repos. Then I set the resolution of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop stretched outside of the monitors corners

Hi
    Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 9.10. I have Nvidia GForce7050/nforce 610i video card so I installed the Nvidia Version 173 driver from the repos. Then I set the resolution of 1024x768 but the problem is that the desktop area is stretched outside the edges of my monitor (Dell LCD) and I can access the four corners of my desktop my moving the mouse to the edge. Can anyone tell me that how can I fix that problem?
    Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Maybe the latest nvidia drivers (190.42) would work better.

Have you tried them?
    oz

Just Joined!
    I have tried version 185 and it has problems with my card, it is not letting me to set resolution 1024x768, but i did not check the version 190. I jumped back to version 175 because it worked well with my ubuntu 9.04.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here.
    I am going to install version 190 of the nvidia driver then after some experimentation, if the problem persists then I will post xorg.conf

Good Luck ! I haven't tried 190 version yet. Most of users gave positive reviews and I am planning upgrade this weekend.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    No luck with nvidia 190, I am now back to ubuntu jaunty and will try ubuntu 9.10 in few weeks again.

oz
    forum.guy
    Maybe you can make some xorg.conf file comparisons between jaunty and karmic to see if there are any differences between them.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Just after installation of kramic, when I looked in /etc/X11 there was no xorg.conf file, I was amazed that where it went and from where X is picking up its settings. Then I Installed nvidia's driver and run "sudo nvidia-xconfig" which created /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Then I run the nvidia-settings tool and set the resolution to 1024x768 but the desktop area is stretched outside of the edges of my monitor and I dont know how to fix it.
    I also tried to copy the xorg.conf file which i created by nvidia-settings tool in Jaunty but it freezed my system.
    Now I do not know how to fix it. Moreover I have removed karmic because of that resolution problem and using jaunty for the time being.