Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I am thinking hard about upgrading my system to 1.5T drives. Want to run them in RAID 1. Was looking on line but the reviews are hit and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Looking to upgrade to 1.5T drives

Hello everyone,

I am thinking hard about upgrading my system to 1.5T drives. Want to run them in RAID 1. Was looking on line but the reviews are hit and miss. Seems like if you didn't have any issues you posted a good review and if you had a problem it was a bad review.

I'm looking for people already using 1.5T drives and let me know the real store about them. What you like and don't like. how reliable are they and would you buy them again or switch vendors? What I should look out for.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

If the bad reviews came in large bunches, its likely that they were part of a bad batch. I think they are all hit or miss, I'm not sure any brand is particularly better. I've bought samsung, hitachi, WD, and they've all been fine. There are some particular drives though that cost more, but come with 7 year warranty instead of 3. If you are going to raid, I would suggest buying the drives from 2 different sources, because it is less likely they will come from the same batch and the same batch drives will die around the same time most likely.

That is some sound advice you give there with using 2 different sources for the drives.
    I was thinking of going with Seagate but the reviews are mixed. Same with WD.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've had good results with Seagate 7200rpm barracuda drives. I have about 6 of them right now and no problems. It's my preferred drive for this sort of stuff. Some of their drives had some firmware problems a year or so ago, but that has since been resolved. All told, I have at least a dozen Seagate barracuda drives ranging from 250GB to 1.5TB and have had no problems with any of them for a number of years. Some of the smaller ones are IDE drives, but most now are sata-2 drives (3gbps).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!