Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Besides my normal machine, I have an old Micron Millennia MXE sitting around, and I was wondering what would be the best way to turn this old 128mg of ram ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Way To Upgrade Old Computer?

Besides my normal machine, I have an old Micron Millennia MXE sitting around, and I was wondering what would be the best way to turn this old 128mg of ram PII (w/ 12GB Hard drive) into a fast, light-weight linux machine? On a tight budget?
    Right now, I have Vector on there, and it's pretty slow.

I'd use it for Internet, music, videos... Maybe a game or two... That's about it. I'd want compiz to work easily without lag...

Any suggestions on what to get? And where to get it?

Also, if you know of a place that sells used or refurbished computers for REAL cheap, please let me know... I will have some extra cash around christmas and would love to do some tinkering with a couple of things.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'd try Puppy and Damn Small Linux, and then decide on one or the other if you find that you like them. I think either would probably be pretty fast on that box.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I'd try Puppy and Damn Small Linux, and then decide on one or the other if you find that you like them. I think either would probably be pretty fast on that box.
    Thanks, but i've tried both and am not really a fan of either... I am more looking to spend a little money on hardware and go with a newer distro with more features.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRenegade View Post
    Thanks, but i've tried both and am not really a fan of either... I am more looking to spend a little money on hardware and go with a newer distro with more features.
    True... both are rather limited on features.

Slax and Zenwalk are a couple of other lightweight but popular choices.

Edit: we also have a poll for favorite distro for lower spec hardware that you can look at for some other potential options that might work for you:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2009-a.html
    Last edited by oz; 12-14-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hmmm... Both sound pretty good actually.

Both are Slackware based, if I remeber correctly? I'll check them out. Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRenegade View Post
    Hmmm... Both sound pretty good actually.

Both are Slackware based, if I remeber correctly? I'll check them out. Thanks.
    Hope one of them works out well for you.

I think the low RAM count might be the biggest issue, and unfortunately the price of RAM seems to have gone up a little over the last few months. The RAM package that I use was just $59 a few months ago at NewEgg, and just a week or two back I noticed that it had gone up to $99!
    oz

I think you are overestimating the uses for such an old machine. You will be lucky to get anything beyond internet and music working from that list of stuff. Unless you have a dedicated graphics card that has 3d support you can throw out compiz from working. Video such as flash will not work either. And by games, I hope you mean Aislerot solitaire, Gnome mines, or the like, because thats about all you can do. I hate to be a negative nancy, but this is the reality of things. Not much out there is programmed to be run on old machines like this. You should have no problems browsing the net and listening to music though.

Just Joined!
    You're not being negative, are you? You're just telling me I shouldn't expect much from an old machine.... I appreciate that. I know I shouldn't expect much, but I know if I buy a new graphics card and possibly some memory, I can have compiz with 3d running somewhat smoothly.

This would just be a project computer, and in the end if I can get on the internet, listen to music, and have the 3D desktop switcher, I'll be happy.

LOL... and no, I was talking about playing Quake 3 and Open Arena, maybe even run WINE and try to put San Andreas on there.[/tongue in cheek]

Thanks.

Quake 3, maybe, i dont' remember the specs, but this sounds more like a quake2 machine to me. The cost of buying those things might be so high that it makes sense to just buy a better machine in the first place. Getting memory for older machines is costly since the parts aren't in use by current machines. PCI graphics card might not be that expensive. Depending on the cost, something like this might make sense.

eMachines EL1300G-01w Refurbished Desktop PC - AMD Athlon 2650e 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DVDRW, Vista Home Basic, White at TigerDirect.com

Yes it is emachines, and refurbished.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    Quake 3, maybe, i dont' remember the specs, but this sounds more like a quake2 machine to me. The cost of buying those things might be so high that it makes sense to just buy a better machine in the first place. Getting memory for older machines is costly since the parts aren't in use by current machines. PCI graphics card might not be that expensive. Depending on the cost, something like this might make sense.
    I really was just fooling around about playing those games, I know that is a lot to ask for. Being able to would be a plus though.
    That's another thing I was wondering: The best place to buy used/refurbished computers at a good price. I even checked out Tiger Direct, and I guess I missed that specific one. My main computer is an Emachines w3506, and I haven't had any problems with it really. It has 512mb of ram, but once you get over that, it's not really a bad machine.

I appreciate the help. I guess I was just more or less sick of seeing the Micron sitting around doing nothing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast