Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just bought a new canon mx320 printer but cant find the right driver for this using linux. I tried on the canon website, but whenever i download something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Canon MX320 Printer

I have just bought a new canon mx320 printer but cant find the right driver for this using linux. I tried on the canon website, but whenever i download something that is supposed to match it doesnt work. Where can i download the driver and more important how do i do this?
    My printer seems to only want pdp files. Hope to hear from someone soon.
    Regards Nick

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I don't have that printer so can't say how well the Canon drivers work, but go here and pick your OS and language, then pick the driver you want to install:

PIXMA MX320

If you have a Debian-based distribution (Debian, Ubuntu, etc), you can pick the Debian version of the driver, or if you have an RPM-based distribution (Fedora, OpenSUSE, etc), pick the RPM version of the driver. You should be able to install it like you would any other deb or rpm package.

Another approach that might be easier is to pick the source-based driver at the bottom of the list, download it, extract it using your archiving tool for your distribution, navigate down to the actual PPD file located in the extracted folder, then copy that file to the /usr/share/cups/model directory, reboot your system or restart CUPS, then open your web browser and enter the following into the location bar:

Code:
    localhost:631
    From there you can use the CUPS interface to add and configure your printer.

In the end, you need the PPD file in the proper directory so that CUPS can find it and make use of it. Keep a copy of the PPD file stored somewhere and you can simply copy it to the correct folder again for future Linux installs.

Hope it all works out for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

The RPM printer driver worked for me with Fedora 12.

Just Joined!
    the problem is using 64 bit o.s.; you can find out if you're using 64 bit o.s. with uname.
    the drivers are 386; or 32 bit.

so we have to use the source code.

there's a tutorial on how to use source code here:
    webmonkey.com/2010/02/com...#disqus_thread

the problem i'm having is that for:
    #./configure
    and:
    #make
    (ran as root)
    i get back the following error message:
    bash: make: command not found

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hmazuji View Post
    the problem i'm having is that for:
    #./configure
    and:
    #make
    (ran as root)
    i get back the following error message:
    bash: make: command not found
    Hello and welcome, hmazuji!

This thread is over 2 years old so I'm going to close it, but don't hesitate to start a fresh thread of your own if you are having any problems with Linux.

Thank you.
    oz