Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there. I am converting a Windoze XP machine probably into a OpenSuSE Linux machine and I have Dialup for internet. I need a good NonWin Modem and I heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NonWinModems

Hello there.

I am converting a Windoze XP machine probably into a OpenSuSE Linux machine and I have Dialup for internet. I need a good NonWin Modem and I heard that an external modem is ideal.

Any input or advice on this is appreaciated

Thank o ufor your time.

oz
    forum.guy
    Back when I used a dialup connection, the Zoom externals worked well for me. I also used US Robotics externals, but usually stuck with Zoom models. I think NewEgg offers both brands in external models.
    Last edited by oz; 12-21-2009 at 01:43 AM.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Back when I used a dialup connection, the Zoom externals worked well for me. I also used US Robotics externals, but usually stuck with Zoom models. I think NewEgg offers both brands in external models.
    Thank you. I will check them out at New Egg when I leave this forum.

I think this Linux thing is starting to be a reality. About time, because it's been a few years since I thought about going with Linux.. Never did it, because I figured it was to complex.

thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by EricOnTheWeb View Post
    Thank you. I will check them out at New Egg when I leave this forum.

I think this Linux thing is starting to be a reality. About time, because it's been a few years since I thought about going with Linux.. Never did it, because I figured it was to complex.

thanks again.
    Yeah, even if you should decide that you don't want to buy from NewEgg, it's still a good source for comparing computer peripherals and prices, and looking at specs. Hope it all works out well for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Found a "Zoom USB mini external 3095 V.90 external modem for Win and Linux" for 21 bucks.

Is V.44 better?.

Also I guess I'm going with OpenSUSE as someone said it had excellent hardware support and nice for a transition from Windose.

Thanks for sharing your knowlege.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by EricOnTheWeb View Post
    Found a "Zoom USB mini external 3095 V.90 external modem for Win and Linux" for 21 bucks.

Is V.44 better?.

Also I guess I'm going with OpenSUSE as someone said it had excellent hardware support and nice for a transition from Windose.

Thanks for sharing your knowlege.
    It's been around 8 years since I last used dialup, so I'm not personally familiar with any of their current models. Perhaps someone that has used one or both of them will step in with some advice. Yes, OpenSUSE generally has good hardware detection/support and it's a good distribution for new Linux users.

Good luck with the modem and your Linux system.
    oz