Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well ... how shall I start ... Since two weeks I've an new low power desktop. Intel Atom 330 ... I seem to have some Hardware-problems with it. First the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

My hardware ...

Well ... how shall I start ...
    Since two weeks I've an new low power desktop.
    Intel Atom 330 ...
    I seem to have some Hardware-problems with it.
    First the kde or gnome desktop won't start or freeze after a short time.

I've found out that there's a problem with my graphic chip on the newer kernels ...
    ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

So that one is solved ... but theres an other bug haunting me:
    I've started badblocks (-sw) on the Hard drive after some time it starts writing a list of badblocks ... that would be fine ... if it were true ... but after a second start the "found" badblocks are ok ... but an other range is bad.
    So I've tried the HDD on an other Computer ... not one badblock was found there.

Considering that, I would assume that the Motherboard is broken.
    But according to smartctl there are a lot of:
    Hardware_ECC_Recovered, Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Read_Soft_Error_Rate, Reported_Uncorrect and Soft_Read_Error_Rate
    Since these failures are diagnosed by the HDD itself it can't be the Motherboard ...
    --- But only on that Motherboard ... ?! W-T-H IS BROKEN?!

Do you have any tips how to reduce the pool of suspects?

The main suspects (imho){
    Power Supply
    Hard-drive
    Motherboard
    }

Ramtest shows no errors.
    atm I am running the system with knoppix.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Since the drive is clean on another system, then the problem has to be with the motherboard - either the disc controller is bad, or there is some other problem with the MB. I doubt that the power supply is the problem, though if you have a bunch of peripherals installed, you can remove some of them to see. Hard drives these days don't take much power at all. At least, not in comparison with the rest of the system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux User
    I haven't used the drive at full speed at the other computer and without smart ...
    (I've used a USB adapter for the check on the other computer)

After all it seems to me, that that error only happens when I am reading at full speed from the HDD.
    I myself believe theres a bug in the firmware or in the "control" part of the HDD.

When I read at full speed I get an "Hardware_ECC_Recovered" each 5kbit at the beginning ... while it reads it gets worse ...
    Since the SMART Values are created by the HDD itself theres an bug within the HDD.

The power supply is perfect fine.
    At my last test the HDD had an own external power supply.

Thanks for the tip ... I wish I could test the SATA controller of the Motherboard too ... but I don't have an empty HDD at stock ...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You could well have a drive problem. I have a 1.5TB seagate that is starting to get sector errors, and SMART detected it before it started to show up. You're right, in that the diagnostic tools cannot interrogate the smart chips when the drive is in a USB enclosure. Fortunately, I have dual USB/esata enclosures so I can connect it to a sata controller to run the seatools diagnostics and see what exactly the smart chip says.

Linux User
    One or two hours ago I've started the test again on the Computer on which I had it running with USB.
    This time with SATA ... and after 40% badblock-search ... he had the same problems.

So the HDD is definitely defect.
    I am going to send it back and hope the next one works.

I wonder, if samsung has any interest what error happened ... I've searched their web-page, all I found was a not working e-mail option.

One thing for certain, if a drive is going to fail, most of the time it is in the first couple of weeks after it has been in use. This is true of most electronic products in general, I think. The drive of mine that is failing however is over a year old, yet still well within the MBTF stats. Fortunately, looking up the serial # on the Seagate web site shows that the warranty doesn't run out for about another 3 years. They will replace it for free - I don't know yet if I have to pay for the shipping back to them or not. I'll find that out once I get the data backed up to another drive of the same type/capacity I just got. In any case, it must be my week for electronics failures - my laptop battery just failed for the second time in less than a year. After much screaming and gnashing of teeth, Dell drop-shipped to me a new battery overnight at no charge (the laptop is 15 months old and still has almost 2 years on the warranty, but the battery only has a 1 year warranty) - accepting my contention that either the design or manufacturing is defective. A couple of months ago I installed a new BIOS which is supposed to help with premature battery failure on these systems. I guess I just installed it too late. I double checked today before I installed the new one to be sure I had the latest BIOS installed that deals with this problem (supposedly - we'll see).

Oh well, back to the salt mines.

Linux User
    Hi,
    I've got my new drive today ... half a hour ago I started badblocks ...
    So far I've checked the smart values after the start and now.
    And the Hardware_ECC_Recovered stays much lower! ... hasn't moved a bit ...
    The Value Raw_Read_Error_Rate also keeps a 0.
    So it looks much better ... I'll know more tomorrow morning.