Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I am new to the forum so pardon me if I sound like a complete n00b. I am building a gaming Linux machine and am not very experienced ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Building a gaming machine

Hello all. I am new to the forum so pardon me if I sound like a complete n00b. I am building a gaming Linux machine and am not very experienced in the world of hardware (this will be a learning experience for all of us lol). I was wondering if any one would be able to give me advice on hardware to buy. I'm a bit partial AMD, Nvidia, Coolermaster. I would also like a good soundcard, but have heard terrible things regarding Creative's service . I play Sauerbraten, Nexuiz, (and hopefully) TF2, Portal, and HL2 in wine. I also make graphics in vector and am interested in getting into C++ and 3d modelling. The AMD Phenom II x4 am3 Black edition looks pretty good, if it isn't overkill. Also, I would like to get a CM storm sniper case.

And, unfortunately, I also need a wireless card because my computer is on the second floor.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Also, I probably wont overclock (unless I only think I know what that means...) and if i can stay within a $500 budget, that'll help a lot

Linux Newbie
    You'll definitively want to go with Nvidia, I keep hearing how ATI drivers suck on Linux and today I read that the next kernel has reverse-engineered nvidia drivers in the kernel. Like you, I also prefer AMD but that is also a personal preference. I have heard that AMD processors are more efficient, that's all I have to go on. I don't know much about sound cards, I always go with what's on board. Check out alsa-project.org. As far as wireless cards check out linuxwireless.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonantice View Post
    You'll definitively want to go with Nvidia, I keep hearing how ATI drivers suck on Linux and today I read that the next kernel has reverse-engineered nvidia drivers in the kernel. Like you, I also prefer AMD but that is also a personal preference. I have heard that AMD processors are more efficient, that's all I have to go on. I don't know much about sound cards, I always go with what's on board. Check out alsa-project.org. As far as wireless cards check out linuxwireless.org
    Thanks for the advice I check those out...

Just Joined!
    I think I'm gonna close this thread.
    a) its sorta n00bish
    b) my friend who is into hardware is helping me
    3) Hardware support is pretty good on linux these days any way

Thanks all