Find the answer to your Linux question:
specifically im looking at controllers that use midi but do it straight through usb. one of these i already have, the mixman dm2 dj interface or something like that. now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"class compliant" hardware for xp and mac, mean anything for linux?

specifically im looking at controllers that use midi but do it straight through usb.
    one of these i already have, the mixman dm2 dj interface or something like that.

now i am making a little assumption here, that midi is midi. im pretty sure im right though: any midi device will work with linux (regardless of mapping), without any extra driver or anything as long as the midi to usb interface that it is plugged into is supported, because the interface is the only thing actually plugged into the computer. correct me if im wrong here.

i have used my interface with my keyboard and ubuntu studio 8.10 and it works fine.
    my cheap dj interface, however, not having any midi ports but just a plain old usb cord, was a little more difficult. fortunately, someone wrote a linux driver for it and i got it installed and up and running.
    i know it came with a driver cd for windows, leading me to believe that it is NOT "class compliant"
    so, ive been looking at some higher end dj interfaces, and found that unfortunately most of them also have usb instead of midi (god dang it srsly does anyone know what standardizations are for??) BUT most of these are advertised as "class compliant" for windows and mac. at this point it seems pretty much like plug and play...
    i really dont want to get stuck with windows for my music.

so my end question is this: if my run of the mill plug and play for windows midi-usb interface works no problem with linux, then will most "class compliant" plug and play for windows midi controllers that go straight to usb also work?

now thats my exact question, however, ANY input at all is very much appreciated. i know, i know its all a big mess anyway.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't know what "class compliant" means for sure, but from what you said it seems to me that it most likely means that drivers for these devices are part of the standard Windows/Mac systems package. With Linux, who knows? The newer Linux distributions support a LOT of hardware out-of-the-box that you might not expect. I've been thoroughly impressed with how well Ubuntu works with odd-job hardware. If you can borrow an Ubuntu laptop to take to someplace where you can try the new hardware (keyboard, sampler, whatever) it should be easy enough to verify if it will handle them. Otherwise, get something with a liberal return policy.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    yeah, it is hard to say. i guess what it comes down to is if "class compliant" usb midi devices without a separate interface are the same as class compliant midi interfaces themselves. cause im pretty sure those work
    its a pretty new product, thats what im most skeptical about, im sure someone WILL work out the kinks if there are any. unless its just impossible.
    i have a linux laptop, just not the controller. i read a review saying it SHOULD work with linux.

it might also be (at least im hoping) that its own specific driver is not so much integrated into windows and mac, rather that the windows/mac standard driver for that kinda stuff is integrated into the controller itself.
    i wouldnt be as worried if i didnt plan on getting a ton of midi controllers that will probably just use usb like this one.

anyway, youre right, the next step is to just try it. guess ill be getting to guitar center soon.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My brother-in-law is a professional audio engineer. When we were visiting last week at our niece's wedding we were talking about audio gear and Linux systems. He agrees that there is some serious software for Linux, but the best software, and hence gear support, is on the Mac or Windows, though Mac is much preferred by the pro because of its Unix roots and much greater reliability than Windoze.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!