Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not sure if this is where this belongs, but I figure someone will at least point me in the right direction... So, I have an old MSI 694d Pro board, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Older Dual Processor mobos

Not sure if this is where this belongs, but I figure someone will at least point me in the right direction...

So, I have an old MSI 694d Pro board, with 2 PIII 800's on it. So, I know it will support up to two Gigs of RAM, which is cool, and up to 933Mhz cpus...

I know if it was a single processor board, the difference would be negligible, BUT, would I see any kind of difference if I found 2 933s and stuck them on. (Once you move into dual processors, I kind of get lost in the math...lol)

I think I could pick up some older PIIIs for pretty cheap... But would even $5 be a waste of money?

Also, if anyone else has this board, I'm having networking issues. Ubuntu knows there is a PCI network card attatched, (And i've tried 3 different cards) but it will NOT connect. Would there be a board setting that would prevent network connections? Seems unlikely, but who knows...

Thanks for the help!

probably you wouldn't noticed much difference from 800-933 is my guess, once you are booted and most things are in ram it won't be a huge difference in my opinion

as for the networking problem, plug in the card you want to use and run these commands and post back
    Code:
    lspci
    ifconfig