Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for a storage drive, 1GB or 2GB. I'm considering three, WD Green, Samsung F2 or F3 or Seagate. I like Hitachi's 1TB but the 2TB versions have the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WD Green HDD or something else?

I'm looking for a storage drive, 1GB or 2GB. I'm considering three, WD Green, Samsung F2 or F3 or Seagate. I like Hitachi's 1TB but the 2TB versions have the extra platter and power consumption is therefore higher.

I've read that WD Green drives have a parking head issue. There's a utility that can sometimes do something about it, though. There was talk that it's more prevalent or concerning when using a Unix system?

I thought where can I post about this.... I've been to a few forums including Storage Review and SilentPC review but I thought what better place to ask but a Linux forum. I am hoping some WD Green drive owners will read this thread and comment. I thought these drives are pretty popular and highly available. They seem to be available everywhere so there must be some Linux users who own them.

What do you think?

Other than WD, I guess I am leaning towards Samsung if I am too hesitant regarding the WD. The WD Green and Samsung are around the same price but the Samsung is not as available. I heard it's easier to RMA a WD but I don't really consider that a problem. I'm more concerned about the drive performance (temps/power consumption/noise/any clicking etc). I also read that the Samsung might have some issues with vibration. So, as both drives may potentially have issues, which one should I go with?

I am not sure yet whether I'll divide the drive up (NTFS and ext3) or just choose one format. NTFS can be read by Linux so it's an option.

Anyway, I hope there's some WD Green owners here and if there's any Samsung 1TB or 2TB owners, too, that's a bonus!

If you don't have either drive but have some insight to these ideas and issues, please reply!

Or if you have an opinion, I'd be interested in knowing about it! I cannot decide yet!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've been using the 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm sata2 drives. One started to get bad blocks, so they replaced it under warranty (pretty painless experience - paid an extra $20 USD for expidited service - they sent drive w/ prepaid shipping label, so all in all, the cost differential was only a couple of $$ since I didn't have to pay for the shipping back, and I got the drive in 2 days instead of waiting for the turnaround). I have about a dozen of the barracuda drives, from 500GB to 1.5 TB (6 at 1.5 TB), and this is the first one in 2 1/2 years that has had any problems. Can't say they are particularly "green", but I think that has to do more with whether or not you configure your system to spin them down when not active.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just to make things complicated, I personaly avoid seegate drives now. see Seagate Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That specific issue will most likely not come around again, but I lost a 3 TB raid 5 array due to 2 drives failing within 1 hour. Seagate's lack of response to the issue was kinda lame too.

Just my 2c, I hold grudges though, so take it how you want.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    Just to make things complicated, I personaly avoid seegate drives now. see Seagate Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That specific issue will most likely not come around again, but I lost a 3 TB raid 5 array due to 2 drives failing within 1 hour. Seagate's lack of response to the issue was kinda lame too.

Just my 2c, I hold grudges though, so take it how you want.
    Thanks for your two cents. I was not considering Seagate much since I am very skeptical about their QC. The 7200.12 series looks promising but again, the QC scares me. I have owned Seagate drives in the past and still own one with no problems, knock on wood. But, I now tend to wait as long as I can and wait to see what owners say about their drives. I acknowledge that there are faulty drives from each brand and probably range model to model but I think there is a possibility that one drive model will have better QC than another, overall. If not and we're rolling the dice, I'll just go with a low power and low heat model that doesn't have a history of issues or alleged issues. I'm leaning towards Samsung drives since the only potential issue seems to be vibration and relative to other drives, they seem to have a wide choice of lower heat drives.

The only problem is that they aren't as widely available. I can't pick one up at a store; I have to order. Not a big deal but there would be waiting time when ordering and any RMA would be the same - waiting. I think WD Greens might be too much of a risk but they have a new line out so I'm still wondering.

I have just connected a WD green HD to my fileserver (in an external enclosure, I wanted to use eSata, but it didn't work with my server for some reason, the Zotac Ionitx board.) over USB.

I haven't used it TOO much yet, since I'm waiting for my weekend to reinstall fedora. BUT, I transfered all my media files and my home directories over to the drive, and never unmounted it. 2 days later, it's still going.

I can update you later on how it works after I put the full OS on it and run it for a week or so, but right now I don't have too much long term info for you.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    meton_magis, thanks for that! I hope it works for you but I read about LCC and the heads parking when using WD Green drives, especially in Linux (or Unix). Also, the newest WD Green drives don't sound much better:

Problem with WD Advanced Format drive in LINUX (WD... - Western Digital Community

WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 awful performance - Western Digital Community

There's reports of the heads parking and high load cycle counts with the WD**EADs model, too (where ** represents the model number usually the number of terabytes).

I hope it works out for you since you bought the drive and they are a decent price. Not only that, but they're readily available in my area. But, the alleged issues have resulted in me delaying buying a drive and considering the Seagate LP series, the Samsung F2 and F3 EcoGreens as well as the WD (but, Samsung is in the lead regarding my choices).

Btw, do you know how to check the LCC or are you going to try?

Linux Guru
    I have a 500 gb external WD Green hd over USB. It works pretty good, so much so I've never had any problems with it. I use it for nightly backups and it's never failed. It can be kind of slow when first accessing it.
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude