Find the answer to your Linux question:
A bit new to Linux - wrestled with a few things, video related and fixed. But upon trying to burn a new distro ISO file to disk, I noticed that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD/RW drive not recognized

A bit new to Linux - wrestled with a few things, video related and fixed. But upon trying to burn a new distro ISO file to disk, I noticed that Linux Mint 7 is not seeing the DVD/RW drive at all.

It is slave to a CD drive. The Linux Mint 8 Helena disc can't see this drive either. A Bart-PE disc can see the drive, and it was working under XP. The Bios sees the drive also.

What does one do in such a case?

Just Joined!
    Ok.. solved this one. I inverted master/slave determination to where the DVD/RW is now master. Both drives are now visible in "Computer".

Weird thing though (perhaps) is that booting from a Mint 8 Helena disc has me only seeing one drive in "Computer". This is even though Helena boot disc is running in the DVD/RW drive that is invisible. .... I checked and this is not the case running Mint 7 boot disc.

Would this oddity go away on a full install of Helena I wonder??

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrogue View Post
    Ok.. solved this one. I inverted master/slave determination to where the DVD/RW is now master. Both drives are now visible in "Computer".

Weird thing though (perhaps) is that booting from a Mint 8 Helena disc has me only seeing one drive in "Computer". This is even though Helena boot disc is running in the DVD/RW drive that is invisible. .... I checked and this is not the case running Mint 7 boot disc.

Would this oddity go away on a full install of Helena I wonder??
    Glad you got it sorted. I think the only way to know for sure would be to install it and find out, you seem to be pretty lucky so why not give it a try?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I dunno... I think I'm getting burned out ... worn out with Linux. I realize it should take some time to make a switch from XP... and gawd I want to.

Still, it's been hell. FIrst no working with Matrox dual head (I buy Nvidia card to solve that). Then wierd stuff with not seeing drives. I "solve" this only to see that when system sees I insert blank DVD/RW disc.... and prompts me to open Brasero, then Brasero cannot burn to disc - it wants to burn to an image and asks me to insert a blank disc!? ........................ i have no choices presented - and no way of knowing why it can't see the very disc that prompted the program in the first place.

I heard that Linux was good now... but at every turn it's like Rosanne Rosanadanna in the background saying "It just goes to show, it's always something".

Cannot get machine working and don't have time to chase down every new problem and weird unaccountable thing. It's cool to expect a learning curve, but hell if you're thrown into trying to diagnose so much just to get system working at base level .... before one has a chance to learn how to swim.

cd buring has been difficult outside of KDE's k3b, most people agree that the gtk side really needs to step up and make a decent cdburner software. if you really wanted to you could install k3b (and all the kde crap that comes with it) through your package manager.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    Thanks .... actually already installed both K3B and GnomeBaker. Odd that neither show up on my menu (then a struggle to find out where the executables are).... but I found GnomeBaker and succeded in burning a disc. Yay.

could install k3b (and all the kde crap that comes with it
    I used mintInstall... but it shows up on Synaptic now. Pardon the dumb question, but is there some extra environment (like some KDE thing) that has to be going on to use this right? And/or is this somehow related to the fact that it does not show up on my menu (as neither does GnomeBaker)?

I know when using KDE, most newly installed programs are added to the system menu automagically but I'm not sure about Gnome. I think you need to add it manually in Gnome.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.