Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm setting up a mysql replication system. I usually maximize what's left on my stock before I buy. I do badblocks first to all 2nd hand hard drive to make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

should I use disk with report of bad blocks

I'm setting up a mysql replication system. I usually maximize what's left on my stock before I buy. I do badblocks first to all 2nd hand hard drive to make sure it is in good condition before I install an Operating System.

I pick up a 200GB sata hard disk in the stock room and test it using badblocks. I left it in the office doing the test and just check it tomorrow. When I return to check, the report says it found 30 bad blocks.

I don't if I gonna still use it. Would you advise to use it?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    That basically means that the drive is starting to fail. If the drive is still under manufacturers' warranty, get an RMA online and get a replacement unit. If not, get a new drive. You can use fsck -c -f to do the bad blocks on the file system and it will log the bad blocks so that the file system (assuming ext2/ext3/ext4 or other standard Linux file system) won't try to use the blocks. However, there are probably others that are marginal and will fail soon, so using such a drive for system-critical operations is not advised.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I decided not to use anymore the drive. I do e2fsck -y -f -v /dev/sda1 and it sees some inode and need to fix. After that, I do e2fsck but this time instead of -y I do -n to see if there is still some fixes which suppose to be none. To my surprise, there is still inode to fix despite of the recent e2fsck.