Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have an older HP that I've been bringing back to life by adding a couple new hard drives, a DVD-RAM drive, new keyboard and mouse, and wireless networking. Running XFCE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Aztech Sound Card Problems

Have an older HP that I've been bringing back to life by adding a couple new hard drives, a DVD-RAM drive, new keyboard and mouse, and wireless networking.

Running XFCE on a Debian base (2.6.9 kernel) I'm actually getting decent performance on many tasks...

In any event, the machine has a sound card that appears to get recognized early in the boot process -
    isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
    isapnp: Card 'AZT1008 PnP SOUND DEVICE'

but then I can't seem to configure it to actually work.

Chip on the card says:
    AZTECH
    and in smaller print - AZT2320

Card has an FCC ID of 138-SN96116

Based on this I'm not sure if the autodetect is messing up somehow (AZT1008 vs AZT2320), or there's a configuration issue, or...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just Joined!
    A little investigative work, and it turns out I had two problems. The first was the need to load the AZT2320 driver rather than the 1008, but the second is a bug/feature of the HD Install from Knoppix. I appears that if you do an HDInstall, and didn't use "knoppix alsa" when you booted up initially, then the install doesn't see your soundcard and doesn't prep your system correctly.

Running the following:

$su
    #cd /etc/init.d
    #./alsa-autoconfig

gets everything to load, and you should see that all of the snd modules got loaded by typing lsmod.

You then should run KMix or the equivalent as your sound is set to 0 by default...

Figured I should pass this along for any other Knoppix folks who might be having the same problem!