Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi anybody: I have installed Linux Mint 7 and Windows XP on my laptop Sony Vaio VGN-CR260A. In Windows my external speakers, built-in speakers and headphones all work well. Searching ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connect bul-in speaker and headphones

Hi anybody:
    I have installed Linux Mint 7 and Windows XP on my laptop Sony Vaio VGN-CR260A.
    In Windows my external speakers, built-in speakers and headphones all work well.
    Searching in the forums I learned how to connect external speakers to work in Linux Mint. But the laptop's built-in speakers and my headphones don't work in Linux. Does somebody have a clue?.

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem on my HP laptop with Linux Mint 7 and Ubuntu 9.04, but the sound works pretty well when I use Linux Mint 8 or Ubuntu 9.10. Dont know if thats your problem but its worth a try.

Just Joined!
    On a related issue, the built-in speakers on my Sony VIAO VGN-NS20E laptop work fine with Mint7 and Mint8 but the Mute button does not work with Mint. Also, when plugging in earphones, the headphones work but the internal speakers are not switched off. When booted into the pre-installed Vista OS, the Mute button works fine and inserting headphones cuts out the internal speakers - as you would expect.

I note that the Mute button can be re-programmed in Vista so I guess that this and the headphone socket switch are both software-controlled.

Has anyone any ideas how to get these bits of hardware working properly with Mint (or Ubuntu)? I contacted Sony but they just don't want to know about Linux issues.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close