Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, this isn't really a problem with Linux but a hardware issue. My friend recently bought a memory upgrade for another friend, when i was round at his house i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Second RAM slot not working.

Hi, this isn't really a problem with Linux but a hardware issue.

My friend recently bought a memory upgrade for another friend, when i was round at his house i tried to install it for him. Usually this thing is fairly simple, just plug it in and go.

The problem is the second ram slot appears to not be working. i have tried each module on their own in the first ram slot, both working fine. I tried them both on the second ram slot, the computer seems to fail POST, (no case speaker or LED display, but the screen stays black)

also, putting them both in has the same effect.

sorry about the [DOT] & [SPACE] but the link is broken otherwise
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 -- www[DOT]gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductI[SPACE]D=2467&ProductName=GA-945GZM-S2
    RAM: (2x) Corsair VS1GB667D2 -- scan.co.uk/products/1GB-Corsair-Value-Select-DDR2-PC2-5300-%28667%29-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-5-5-5-15
    User Manual: europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-945gzm-s2_3.x_e.pdf

The clock rating on these modules are a little high for that board, but I thought they would automatically underclock at the very least for them to both work.

I tried to reset the CMOS, but couldn't find the jumper, so i just took out the battery for 5 mins, does it have the same effect?

any suggestions on what it could be? could it be something with the clock?

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Since both modules work in the first slot, then the problem is probably with the motherboard. I assume that this is a reasonably recent system? Is it still under warranty?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    it might be, that would be one consideration. should it pass POST if a single stick is in the second DIMM slot?

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It depends upon the mobo. Most reequire a stick in the first slot if you are going to put one in the second, and require matched pairs if you use 2. That is another possibility, that the sticks aren't closely matched enough to work together. Is this a laptop of desktop system?

FWIW, some newer laptops can take different capacity sticks, but still require that they be of the same electronic characteristics (CAS, RAS, buffered vs. unbuffered, etc).

I've just looked at the web page for this mobo, and re-read your original post. Both sticks seem to be the same, though they aren't on the approved memory module list: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...gzm-s2_3.0.pdf which may not be relevant since one works OK, but you know what they would say...

According to the docs, the bios is supposed to detect the memory size/configuration. One thing you might want to do is blow any dust/detritus out of the second slot just to be sure that there isn't something interfering with the electrical contacts. This has caused me headaches in the past.

Just Joined!
    well that is one thing i thought about the approved memory module list, maybe the board is configured to run in dual channel by default, and causing it to fail POST, i know i couldn't run dual channel with mathinc pairs on my board due to that very reason. that on top of the fact that a module needs to be present in slot 1 to pass POST.

could be an idea..

what about the clock? should i need to set the FSB to anything in particular?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It depends upon the mobo. Most reequire a stick in the first slot if you are going to put one in the second, and require matched pairs if you use 2. That is another possibility, that the sticks aren't closely matched enough to work together. Is this a laptop of desktop system?
    I've never encountered this on the 10+ systems I've put together. I've put in mismatched memory, put them in random slots, no problems.

I don't know how many systems I've installed from bare metal - 100's at least over the past 30 years. Yes, newer systems are more forgiving about mix-n-match RAM, although even new systems require closely matched sets if you want to utilize dual-channel performance enhancements. In any case, that isn't the situation here since the poster mentioned that the sticks were the same.