Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by mfleonhardt View Post
    I don't get a model number, just that it's in the Pentium D series...
    You could su to root and try running the dmidecode command to see if it will give you more info about the CPU:

Code:
    dmidecode -t 4
    I'm not sure what's going on with the memory issue, but have you experimented using only the 2GB modules to see if the full 4GB would be detected?
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You could su to root and try running the dmidecode command to see if it will give you more info about the CPU:

Code:
    dmidecode -t 4
    I ran memtest86 last night and that actually identified the chipset as i945.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on with the memory issue, but have you experimented using only the 2GB modules to see if the full 4GB would be detected?
    I'll give that a shot, however I pulled the 1GB modules from another machine that was reading them just fine, plus everything passed the memory test.

I remember reading some time ago that a 32bit OS will only use 3.2 GB of 4G memory even with the PEA kernel while the rest is used for addressing even though a 32bit OS can handle 4 GB memory with out any trouble which seems to be your issue. The fix was to either install a 64bit kernel or live with it.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    I remember reading some time ago that a 32bit OS will only use 3.2 GB of 4G memory even with the PEA kernel while the rest is used for addressing even though a 32bit OS can handle 4 GB memory with out any trouble which seems to be your issue. The fix was to either install a 64bit kernel or live with it.
    That still doesn't address the latest, and most confusing part of this--with a 64-bit live CD, I'm still seeing only 3.2GB.

Could you run the 64bit live cd and post the output from 'free -mo' please?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Okay...with just the 2x2GB modules:

Code:
    linux@linux:~/Desktop> free -mo
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3259        989       2270          0         24        687
    Swap:          814          0        814
    This looks about right actually, if it's allocating 800k for swap. I'll reboot with the 6GB installed and post that as well...

Ok...with all 6GB installed, I get the exact same totals. I've got one last card to play here. I found a thread on another forum, where the guy's problem turned out to be BIOS-related. He had out-of-order addressing in /proc/mtrr, which was solved by a BIOS update and then fixed his memory problem in openSUSE. (In his case, it was seeing 2.9 GB with 4 GB installed...)
    Code:
    linux@linux:~/Desktop> cat /proc/mtrr
    reg00: base=0x000000000 (    0MB), size= 2048MB, count=1: write-back
    reg01: base=0x080000000 ( 2048MB), size= 1024MB, count=1: write-back
    reg02: base=0x0c0000000 ( 3072MB), size=  256MB, count=1: write-back
    reg03: base=0x0cf800000 ( 3320MB), size=    8MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg04: base=0x0cf700000 ( 3319MB), size=    1MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg05: base=0x0d0000000 ( 3328MB), size=  256MB, count=1: write-combining
    I seem to have the same thing going on in reg03/reg04. I'm going to try the latest BIOS update from Intel and see if that doesn't do the trick.

Damn. BIOS upgrade had no effect. Still seeing 3.2GB and still have the register sequencing issue in the MTRR. I'm about ready to resign to only getting 3.2GB out of this box and finding a new home for those two 1GB chips...

That is indeed an unusual problem. Even your 4GB test is not showing the full memory. A correctly running 32 bit PAE kernel will show all system memory with the "free" command.

It does appear to be a HW issue - I might try one other 64 bit "live CD" and verify the same results. I'd try the Mint 8 X64 ISO.

We also don't know the specific revision of your chipset, but the i945 Express seems to be limited to 4GB of addressable RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by mfleonhardt View Post
    Okay, so I gave openSUSE 64's live CD a whirl, but it's still only recognizing the 3.2 GBs. I don't see any PAE settings in my BIOS, but maybe I'm overlooking something (some typed out BIOS settings):

Code:
    Memory Configuration

SDRAM Control    <Automatic>
    Memory Frequency <667 MHz>
    SDRAM tCL        <5>
    SDRAM tRCD       <5>
    SDRAM tRP        <5>
    SDRAM tRASmin    [15]

Total Memory     6144 MB 
    Memory Mode      Dual Channel
    Memory Channel A:
      Slot 0: 1024 MB (DDR2 667) SPD: 5.0-5-5-15
      Slot 1: 2048 MB (DDR2 800) SPD: 5.0-4-4-14
    Memory Channel B:
      Slot 0: 1024 MB (DDR2 667) SPD: 5.0-5-5-15
      Slot 1: 2048 MB (DDR2 800) SPD: 5.0-4-4-14

**NOTE**:  SPD defined as Nominal:  [tCL]-[tRCD]-[tRP]-[tRASmin]
    FYI...I have no clue what all the tFOO stuff is about...
    By curiosity, how did you obtained the above information (the one from post #10)? I'm trying to figure out whether the memory mode is single or dual channel, and my bios does not display this information.