Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear Linux Community! I have a dual boot system (OpenSuse 11.2 with ext4 file system and Windows Vista) A two weeks ago, when I booted my system (Opensuse) I got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HDD Partition and Grub problems

Dear Linux Community!

I have a dual boot system (OpenSuse 11.2 with ext4 file system and Windows Vista)
    A two weeks ago, when I booted my system (Opensuse) I got a warning about my file system, but I ignored, because the system was able to load. Then I switch to Vista. The Vista started well (the welcome window), but after that I got a black screen and I saw that the OS working very hard with my HDD. I waited more than 20 minutes but nothing change, so I push my restart button. At that time I wasn't able to see my grub. First, I tried to reinstall my Linux distribution, but the installation CD wasn't able to recognize my HDD (The BIOS, yes). I used the SystemRescueCD boot CD and its TestDisk program but still nothing (The TestDisk recognize only my HDD type - Seagate, but wasn't able to see any other things).
    I would appreciate if somebody could help me, how to recover partitions. For me is very important my home directory on one of the ext3 partition.

Best regards
    Attila

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by abende View Post
    I used the SystemRescueCD boot CD and its TestDisk program but still nothing (The TestDisk recognize only my HDD type - Seagate, but wasn't able to see any other things).
    Welcome to the forums!

Hopefully, you have good backups on hand of both, your Windows and your Linux systems.

TestDisk usually works, so if it can't find/fix your partitions, they might be gone for good.

Is the hard drive an older one? Have you checked the hard drive maker's website for any diagnostic tools that they offer for checking the integrity of the hard drive?

Edit: Just wanted to note that you should also be able to test your drive if necessary using the SystemRescueCD since it comes with smartmontools, or at least I think it does.
    Last edited by oz; 03-12-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    oz

Does testdisk recognize partition Table? What is the output of fdisk -l command?

If testdisk is not working, I would suggest you to use tools provided by your Hard disk manufacturer before trying any other tool.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    It is a two years old Seagate SATA HDD.
    Unfortunately, testdisk does not recognize any partition table, and I'm also not able to mount this disk using a live Linux CD. In summary, I'm not able to get at with any software till now.
    Is any software which can read cylinder-by-cylinder the HDD? Is a question who is not feel at home in this type of hardware problems.
    Yes, you right I should inquire at the HDD manufacture.

Thanks to all of you, for helping me.
    Attila

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by abende View Post
    It is a two years old Seagate SATA HDD.
    If it's only 2 years old, you might still have some of the original warranty period left on the drive.

Again, I'd check the Seagate website for any diagnostic tools that they offer for your drive and run then run some diagnostic tests on it. If the tests indicate any problems with the drive, I'd contact Seagate about RMA'ing the drive and getting a replacement under the terms of the warranty.
    oz