Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are any of you that are running solid state drives currently using the 2.6.33 kernel? It's my understanding that this kernel is supposed to come with built-in TRIM support. If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

SSD and TRIM

Are any of you that are running solid state drives currently using the 2.6.33 kernel?

It's my understanding that this kernel is supposed to come with built-in TRIM support.

If you are using it, can you verify that TRIM is working properly and that it's helping to keep your hard disk performance maximized?
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'd be intersted in that also Ozar. I'm working on an ARM9 system right now that boots/runs from an SD card. It's running Debian w/ 2.6.21 kernel which I'd like to add TRIM support to since I plan on developing a commercial product with these devices.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Right... I've found all kinds of comments from people excited about the fact that the 2.6.33 kernel will have TRIM support built in, but now that 2.6.33 is out I'm not seeing anything being said about it. I've noticed that the Arch developers are holding this kernel in the "testing" repo and have been for a while, so they must be having some issues with it.

I usually pass on testing packages, especially kernels, or I'd be able to answer my own question.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy

Hmm... guess SSDs and I don't get along...

Yep, I just installed another really nice SSD and took quite a bit of time getting it all setup with home, var, and tmp all on a separate but standard hard drive, only to have the SSD start failing after the 3rd reboot (errors about bad sectors, drive failing). I'm afraid to try another one if they are that fragile, although NewEgg is already sending a free replacement. Due to my fears, the new one might have to remain sealed in the packaging and be sold on eBay, or something. Unfortunately, I didn't even get a chance to see if TRIM was working.

I've been considering trying the VelociRaptor, but I'm worried about the noise, and I don't really like the way they look like a bunch of hard drive pieces all cobbled together. Reviews of them go both ways, but with most users totally loving them. The thing is, a good SSD blows the Raptor completely out of the water if it's working properly, and they don't cost much more.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The thing is, a good SSD blows the Raptor completely out of the water if it's working properly, and they don't cost much more.
    Yes, SSDs are much faster than HDs. If you dont think they cost must more than HDs, then maybe you are looking at MLC SSDs. SLC SSDs are the better technology, and are much more expensive than HDs.

Also, Linux needs to be optimized for SSD use. Are you doing anything of that sort? SSDs, from what I understand, have a longer MTBF than HDs, but are rated for less write cycles (thus the need to optimize).

-Chris P

oz
    forum.guy
    Most SSD drives are dropping quickly in price now, including the SLC models. You can find some SLC drives for as low as $99 at NewEgg:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,SSD,SLC

VelociRaptors on the other hand go from about $150 on up to approximately $280 when they have the WD6000HLHX in stock:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Internal Hard Drives,Western Digital,10000 RPM

Certainly the storage size for SSD vs HDD is not comparable, but it never has been and it will take a bit longer for SSD drives to improve enough to catch up.

It only makes sense that the days of the HDD as the major source for storage are numbered, and I'm betting that the main players in the HDD world are feeling it already.
    oz