Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know that there's no such thing as a "Best Linux Distribution" but I'm looking for the right one for me. I absolutely love PCLinuxOS, but I am having difficulty ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Best choice OS/Installation Method/Package Manager for a Tablet PC

I know that there's no such thing as a "Best Linux Distribution" but I'm looking for the right one for me.

I absolutely love PCLinuxOS, but I am having difficulty with it in that I am installing Linux as a second OS in a Windows7 64-bit/Linux dual-boot environment on an HP TX-1410US tablet PC. I want to use all the hardware, except the modem and the fingerprint sensor because I don't care for either.

The easy specs are:
    CPU: 2.2 GHz, dual-core, 64-bit (AMD Turion-64 X2)
    RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR2
    Graphics: nVidia Geforce Go 6150 with 64MB of shared, dedicated video memory.

I also have this HP Integrated Bluetooth Module I can't seem to identify, and an HP Pavilion Webcam. I use a bluetooth mouse and I sync to my smartphone via bluetooth, so I'd like to be able to use the internal bluetooth adapter.

I have had some success with the touchscreen, using the drivers on the screen manuacturer's website, but that doesn't always work for me.

Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distributions have seldom wrked for me on this computer because I am unable to get Ubuntu online. Ubuntu is not the issue, but my internet access availability is.

I use a Pantech UM175 (data card) for my only internet access and I have been unable to get that to work in any distribution.

My personal preference for Package management is Synaptic. My preferred Desktop Manager is KDE.

I would like to use a 64 bit OS because I intend to use Virtual Box to run instances of Linux and Windows guests.

I do play some games, and I will be renewing my subscription to Crossover Games so that I can install and play both Second Life, using the windows client until the Linux Client provides more stable voice, and I intend to get Star Trek Online working inside Linux.

I am not experienced enough to go the Gentoo route just yet, though I haven't tried in almost a year.

I intend to document this experience and write an article for publication here on Linuxforums.

Linux User
    Best way is to play with some of the live usb distros and see which one works best for you.
    Whatever distro you choose will need to access the internet some time, so fix this first. Find out how pclinux makes the connection to the internet and apply it to the new distro.
    Most distros have a dedicated forum that you can search for the solution to your internet updates.