Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I thought I would try out Ubuntu and downloaded v9.10 and installed within Windows to test it out. But when it came to restarting my computer to finish the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Ubuntu on a Samsung Display

Hi

I thought I would try out Ubuntu and downloaded v9.10 and installed within Windows to test it out. But when it came to restarting my computer to finish the install, it would not display anything and just displayed "Mode Not Supported" on my screen (Samsung LE26R87).

I did a bit of looking around and tried to see if I could find anything to help, but as I'm new to Ubuntu I could not find anything which I could understand.

Could anyone give me anything which could help me get this displaying properly?

Thanks

theGUITARhero

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Your X server (Xorg) is not configured correctly for the monitor. You need to change the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In the Section "Monitor" block it gives ranges for the hoizontal sync and vertical refresh rates. You need to modify those to agree with what your monitor actually supports. Read the monitor user manual, or visit the Samsung web site, for this information.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

That appears to be an LCD TV rather than a computer monitor, but I'm betting it will work if you get the right specifications into a working xorg.conf file as suggested by Rubberman. If you can't find the manual for obtaining the correct specs, you can download one from here:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/extras/Sams..._26_Manual.pdf

Edit: Here's a better link:

Support for LE23R86 SAMSUNG
    Last edited by oz; 04-02-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close