Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi forum, I am trying to introduce a bar code scanner to Red Hat Ent 5 OS based Box, since the PC is brand new and manufacturer decided not install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bar code input...

Hi forum,

I am trying to introduce a bar code scanner to Red Hat Ent 5 OS based Box, since the PC is brand new and manufacturer decided not install serial port any more instead I have 5 USB port 1.0v. Unfortunately the scanner device give output on serial port which is incompatible to computer's USB port.

I try using converter USB to Serial and Serial to USB; but all efforts are avail and NO reading I can capture in to Linux box. I wonder if any one has configured Bar-code Scanner which has serial port while computer has USB port PLEASE enlighten me if you can.

Thank you in advance.

Shy

I guess it's not the matter of the scanner but the USB to serial adapter. It might not be plug'n'play but require a driver to run. What#'s the brand and chip? Did you install a driver?
    The Barcode scanner is similar to a keyboard at the end. It converts the barcode in alphanumeric code and sends it to the computer similar as a keyboard sends keystrokes.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is a problem I understand. There aren't many USB scanners out there. Most of them are RS-232 only. Assuming the PC has an expansion bus, I would recommend purchasing a serial port card to install, otherwise you will probably need to replace the PC with one that provides an RS-232 port. Here is a link to one for under $25USD including shipping (in the USA): StarTech.com 1 Port PCI RS232 Serial Adapter Card - PCI1S550 - Buy.com
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close