Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I installed some new memory into my PC and now find Linux hangs on some bad addresses. Does any one know of a tool(s) that will allow me to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bad memory

Ok I installed some new memory into my PC and now find Linux hangs on some bad addresses. Does any one know of a tool(s) that will allow me to flag a bad memory address so Linux wont use it?

Just Joined!
    Solution found

Please do share your solution, it may help others in need. Thanks!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm running Red Hat Enterprize 4

I didn't use the download the "Badmem" tool from Rick's site from this link as I wanted to use the memtest86 tool that I was sure I already had on my RH disks.
    When I ran memtest and used the configuration option to display the "pattern" it didn't look the same as the one in this article the I got was 0x10108444,0x10108444. There's no way to cut and paste so you'll have to write down the pattern. I didn't have to download memtest as it was on my disk 1. I just needed to attempt to install I found out how from an article I found on the RH site searching for memtest86+ I found this article "How can I check whether my RAM is faulty in Red Hat Enterprise Linux?"

I haven't made 15+ posts to the forum so I can't give the links to the sites, search for badmem linux and I read the information from "rick vanrein org" site and an article from the linux journal site number 4489.

I added the patterns to my /etc/lilo.conf with the "append=badmem=" parameter so far I haven't hung or crashed.