Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have a Radeon 3870 x2 and I found a guide that hacks it to allow 3d acceleration, the only problem is the hack is for ubuntu. I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ATi Radeon HD 3870 x2 3d driver hack

Hi. I have a Radeon 3870 x2 and I found a guide that hacks it to allow 3d acceleration, the only problem is the hack is for ubuntu. I was wondering if there was anyway to make this a generic linux hack, seeing how I use multiple distros. Here's the guide: it won't let me post the url, so here's the thread # go to ubuntu forums then /showthread.php?t=1330491.

It says if the hack is successful that an AMD unsupported hardware watermark will appear. I have Sabayon 5.1 gaming and this watermark appears, so does this mean the driver is preinstalled and hacked?

Thanks
    rogueleader12345

Well, that guide is for Jaunty. If you read later in the thread folks reported the card was working without hacks using the latest fglrx driver.

Sabayon is based on Gentoo, of which the latest stable fglrx is 9.11. Or you can try the more recent but potentially less stable 10.3 release.

Fglrx - Gentoo Linux Wiki

But to answer your original question, as far as I can tell, that guide is applicable to any distro running that version of the fglrx driver. You would need to adjust how you install the build tools, of course. Obviously apt-get isn't right for many distros, and the package names might be different.