Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, hope you can help me, i have a sony vaio fw455d. i installed linux mint xfce version, problem is when am using skype or the sound recorder program ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

built in mic not working

hi guys, hope you can help me, i have a sony vaio fw455d. i installed linux mint xfce version, problem is when am using skype or the sound recorder program my built in mic doesn't work, i have already downloaded the latest version of alsa, please help me guys,

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is not an uncommon problem with Linux and notebook built-in mics, especially with the proprietary and non-standard hardware used by Sony in their Vaio systems. My suggestion is to get a bluetooth headset. Alternatively, an external mic may work. I assume in any case that you have tried the various mic options in the Skype sound setup page?

Also, what Linux distribution+version+kernel are you running? That has a lot of effect on the hardware supported.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    am using linux mint 8 xfce, but i transferred back to the gnome version 8 which recognize my built in blue tooth device, yeah kinda notice that most netbooks and laptops are having problems with their built in mic, thanks for the tip,