Find the answer to your Linux question:
The dvd rom drive is quite noisy if used at full speed, but it can be reduced at the cost of speed, which, depending on what you're doing, does not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Is it possible to set a slower CD/DVD rom speed on fstab?

The dvd rom drive is quite noisy if used at full speed, but it can be reduced at the cost of speed, which, depending on what you're doing, does not make much difference (like listening to music or watching a movie). Adittionaly, it may (that's just a reasonable guess) extend its lifetime.

It can be manually reduced with the following command:

eject -x N /dev/cdrom

(which won't actually eject it)

Where N is the number of the speed you want. I've read that 4 is OK for music and 12 is OK for movies.

(Reference: Setting CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drive speed to reduce noise )

Everything is fine, but is it possible to have lower speed set by default on fstab or something, or the fastest speed is always the default?

With the inotify-tools you can watch the filesystem. If you mount the CD-ROM, the filesystem gets a new entry (in /media?) and you can have the eject script started.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, but I think that with this we can make somewhat neater tricks, like changing automatically the speed according with what's being done or likely to be done.

But I'd be happy with something much more simpler than that, which is apparently as simple as just using the command I mentioned before mounting the cd/dvd, according to the first post of a topic on this "co.nr" forum. ( http://www.forums.co.nr/index.php?showtopic=9240 )

I just assumed that it would affect only the speed once the disc is already mounted. I haven't tested it yet though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close