Find the answer to your Linux question:
Tried installing all the Samsung ML-**** from the list. Nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help. Skippy PS Getting really tired of booting XP every time I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samsung ML-1630 & Fedora 12

Tried installing all the Samsung ML-**** from the list. Nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Skippy

PS Getting really tired of booting XP every time I want to print something.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Here's a Linux driver for that printer on the Samsung website if nothing else works:

Support for ML-1630 SAMSUNG

You can install it according to their instructions, or you should be able to extract the file, then find the PPD file for your printer within the extracted files, then move it to /usr/share/cups/model folder, then restart cups, then enter localhost:631 into your web browser location bar, then pick your printer using the CUPS interface.

Hope it works out for you.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Hmm... I just took a look into the driver download from Samsung's website and don't see a PPD file there so it probably uses a different driver. If that's the case, you will probably have to install it according to Samsung's instructions.

Maybe someone else will chime in with any other ideas on getting it working properly.
    oz

Hi skippyy

Well, personally my 1st port of call is always the linux open printing organisation:
    database/databaseintro | The Linux Foundation

They hav a brilliant DB of almost "all" the various printers, with instructions on how to get them working.

Your particular Samsung is not listed, but the related ML-1610 and ML-1650 are... and the drivers are the same, so I'm guessing that either will work with your printer? Here's the ML-1610 page - Printer: Samsung ML-1610 | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation. Check out the recommended driver and related packages.

Good luck!
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.