Find the answer to your Linux question:
What distro should I use? My friend installed Ubuntu, but it runs super slow due to the lack of RAM. Also, I did a hard reset and the error correction ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    QMD

P3 500mHz, 224mb RAM, 40gb hdd

What distro should I use? My friend installed Ubuntu, but it runs super slow due to the lack of RAM. Also, I did a hard reset and the error correction on boot during the next start up took over an hour (still going) to fix...

I was using DSL a few days ago, and it ran smoothly, but I cannot use the -I flag for pings to specify a specific interface, which is something that I need for my uses of this computer. Any suggestions on something that runs lighter?

Thanks

Any suggestions on something that runs lighter?
    Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 10MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable

I am running this as a live cd posting right now (below link)

Download from ibiblio.org: lupu-501.iso or explore the folder.
    Puppy Linux Community - Home
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I am running Debian on a dual 200MHz SPARC, 512MB RAM. Its slow, but not bad considering. It helped a small amount switching my GUI to XFCE. I do like XFCE. I think you could find memory for your computer for very little money, even free.

-Chris P

I run Puppy 5.0 on a PIII 500 w/ 384 megs ram, and it runs fine.

arch should easily fit into that much memory, also, ubuntu can run on that machine, if you use ubuntu server and build from the ground up, just make sure you use a lightweight WM, xfce might be too heavy to run sufficiently fast

CRUX would fit as well... but the lack of RAM might make the initial install take a little while.
    Afterward, though, you would be just fine. Especially with a lightweight WM like IceWM or JWM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.