Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings All, We've a Dell precision workstation installed with RHEL 4.7 and connected with wireless mouse and keyboard. There is a bluetooth dongle connected to the workstation which works fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless mouse does not detect under Red Hat 4.7 workstation

Greetings All,

We've a Dell precision workstation installed with RHEL 4.7 and connected with wireless mouse and keyboard. There is a bluetooth dongle connected to the workstation which works fine for keyboard, but not mouse. I tried rebooting several times and try changing the battries of the mouse and even replaced with another wireless mouse, but still it wont detect the mouse under linux.

It is a Dell mouse and keyboard. why it should works only with keyboard but not with the mouse, should I need any drivers to be loaded?

Can someone please suggest how to fix this? I tried restarting bluetooth services and also run hci-tool but nothing works

your help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Just Joined!
    Sorry, it's my typo

the command i used was,

$hcitool scan
    Device is not available: Success

Linux Guru
    I would suggest using a more modern Linux distro. A newer version of Red Hat may work better, but Fedora 13 is a better bet. The reason being this: your mouse depends on a driver. Drivers are kernel modules. If your mouse is newer than the kernel you are using, then support is unlikely.

If you don't need to use Red Hat, then I would recommend against it. At least use the latest version of Red Hat. If you want the Red Hat experience, but with better hardware support (ie: newer kernel), then use Fedora 13.

Some drivers are backported to Red Hat, but it is difficult. And again, you should use the latest version of Red Hat, which is 5.5. A beta version of Red Hat 6 ia also available.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.