Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Xeon cpu 2 cpu motherboad. I have following questions. Please help me to clarify the same, 1) Can I run single CPU first? Add another CPU later when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Question on muli cpu motherboard and Xeon

Hi folks,

Xeon cpu
    2 cpu motherboad.

I have following questions. Please help me to clarify the same,

1)
    Can I run single CPU first? Add another CPU later when in need.

2)
    There are 2 sets of dimm. Each set serves its own CPU, I suppose. If running single CPU can the RAM on the 2nd set of dimm be detected and used?

3)
    What will be the comment on xeon vs amd, same spec (apple to apple)?

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Yes
    2. Memory is shared between all available CPU's and cores, so if only one CPU, then it can use all available RAM.
    3. Intel (xeon) vs. AMD - each has its strengths and which is "better" (faster) depends upon which version you are running and what you are doing with them. The newest Intel chips are faster than any AMD chip, but that can change.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Intels fastest chip may be faster than AMDs fastest chips, but AMDs $200 CPU is faster than Intels $200 CPU. AMDs most expensive desktop processor is $200, Intels most expensive desktop processor is $1000.

Ever since I switched from Apple hardware to PC hardware, Ive been using Intel. Currently, I have an Intel E4300 Core2Duo/1.8 overclocked to 2.4GHz. It has proven to be a fantastic CPU. But I think Intels silly naming scheme is enough to get me to switch to AMD.

FYI, my experience is only with desktop processors, not server processors.

-Chris P

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I agree with Cobalt60 - AMD is better from the performance-for-price perspective. Intel is better from a pure performance perspective (at least this week - things change back and forth a lot in this business).

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but hopefully just expand the question. Is there any advantage to running a xeon board with one cpu as opposed to replacing it with a single processor board? Also, for a non-server application, what advantage would a multi-cpu board give you?

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but hopefully just expand the question. Is there any advantage to running a xeon board with one cpu as opposed to replacing it with a single processor board? Also, for a non-server application, what advantage would a multi-cpu board give you?
    Multi-cpu or multi-core (same basic difference) have distinct advantages for ANY multi-tasking operating system since there are a bunch of processes running concurrently at any time. That is one reason why single-tasking systems such as the iPhone and iPad have only a single one-core cpu, for the most part. The advantages to single-core, single-cpu designs is that they are simpler, lower-power (generally), and smaller. I have a complete ARM board for embedded systems that has 64MB RAM, 2 USB ports, an ethernet port, 3 RS-232 ports, and a boat-load of digital I/O and A/D. It can be powered by a 9v battery, runs a full Debian Etch OS, is the size of a credit card, and boots from an SD card in under 2 seconds!

Thanks rubberman, but I was more interested in why satimis was building a system on a xeon board with only one cpu installed instead of using a conventional single cpu MB. If it was limited funds, with plans to add a second cpu later, or if there was some technical advantage.

Just Joined!
    The OP said he wanted to run only one CPU so he could add one later if desired.

The only reason Im not running a dual CPU motherboard is because they are generally not offered in MicroATX format, and I prefer my computers to be as small as possible. Also, since most CPUs now are quad core, with 6 cores now available (AMD only $300!), youd have to need more than 4 or 6 cores to need a dual CPU system.