Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a bit new to the Linux world, have used Linux for a long time, but never set up a system myself. It is my intention to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Shuttle SG41J1 PLUS

Hi, I am a bit new to the Linux world, have used Linux for a long time, but never set up a system myself. It is my intention to get a barebones system from Shuttle called "SG41J1 PLUS" and run Linux on it. This has the following H/W components:

- Intel Core2 Quad
    - Chipset Intel G41 + ICH7
    - VGA Intel X4500
    - Sound IDT 92HD89C
    - Ethernet Marvell 88E8057

Can I assume that the Intel ICH7 would be supported and the graphics too ?

For the Ethernet controller I obtained drivers (source code) from the manufacturer, so I hope this should be fine.

For the sound chip I don't know yet whether I could get drivers. Are there any ?
    I had a look at the ALSA project's site but could not see exactly this sound chip mentioned.

Should I expect any problem if I wanted to run a 64-bit version of Linux on that machine ?

Thanks,
    Siggy

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by QF006 View Post
    Hi, I am a bit new to the Linux world, have used Linux for a long time, but never set up a system myself. It is my intention to get a barebones system from Shuttle called "SG41J1 PLUS" and run Linux on it. This has the following H/W components:

- Intel Core2 Quad
    - Chipset Intel G41 + ICH7
    - VGA Intel X4500
    - Sound IDT 92HD89C
    - Ethernet Marvell 88E8057

Can I assume that the Intel ICH7 would be supported and the graphics too ?

For the Ethernet controller I obtained drivers (source code) from the manufacturer, so I hope this should be fine.

For the sound chip I don't know yet whether I could get drivers. Are there any ?
    I had a look at the ALSA project's site but could not see exactly this sound chip mentioned.

Should I expect any problem if I wanted to run a 64-bit version of Linux on that machine ?

Thanks,
    Siggy
    Siggy,

I run a Shuttle KPC48, precursor to your particular XPC model, without problems. Its CPU is a Core 2 Duo -- energy efficiency is my goal. But all Shuttles I know of are pretty efficient compared to what the gamers use! (I was one of those once upon a time). You'll need a minimum of 2GB RAM to run 64-bit, which is what I have (Corsair Value Select) in my system. I find I like 32-bit better , performance-wise. Also, I now stay away from the KDE and Gnome desktops. The are unnecessary "eye candy" and slow down my PC too much.

I began with Ubuntu 9.04 but, for a beginner nowadays, I would have to firstly recommend PCLinuxOS E17 or LXDE editions. The former is the more esthetically-pleasing and the latter is the more performance-oriented of the two. Both should run outstandingly on your system. Neither would slow it down like KDE or Gnome.

Unfortunately, the new LTS 'buntus have issues that need to be worked out and I cannot recommend them to beginners -- they would, as they exist at present, frustrate newbies . I have not tried the new Parsix, but the older version my son liked. It's Debian and a good one to begin with, as well. This would be my second choice. Debian is famous for its repositories and the software choices available. Check out MEPIS, too.

For the more independent-minded and like-to-get-my-hands-dirty types, Salix 13.1 is very nice, and a good one with which to try 64-bit. It iruns the XFCE desktop and is a Slackware distro . Don't believe everything you hear about Slackware but try it for yourself (just not at first unless you know more about hardware and software than average and are as described above).

Do not worry about drivers for your system. (ALSA is what linux traditionally uses for audio). Should your chosen distro not function as desired, come back here or go to their specified forum for help. We're always here to help. I hope this does.

Best wishes!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the detailed reply ! The choice of distributions is 'overwhelming'. Gives me a few things to try out once I have the box.

To some extent I will use this machine via SSH/Telnet sessions only, for other purposes I will access the desktop. Is it possible to use the Remote Desktop protocol with Linux? Or are my only options either the screen or VNC ? What I want to do is use my favourite editor on another O/S and connect to the Linux machine via Samba. Any make/compile job will then run in an SSH/Telnet session.

I like the fact too that this is a low-power consumption box. Do you have one of those "ICE" cooling devices installed in your Shuttle ? These seem to be difficult to get here for the new SG41J1. Only found some for the K45/K48 series XPC and they probably won't fit.

Cheers,
    Siggy

For answers to your network questions, please go to the appropriate forum -- I do not telnet and my machine is not a server -- sorry.

In regard to the "ICE" CPU cooler -- no, I use the stock Intel heatsink and fan which result in keeping things cool enough for my purposes. That must have been some promotional agreement Shuttle had; it is not necessary in the cooler climes.

I am unabashedly non-M$, to put it reservedly. Be Pane-Free !!but . . . Best wishes in your endeavors!