Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried posting this on the Newbie forum, but got no replies so I thought I’d try under this one. After having gone through a total nightmare with Windows recently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need basic hardware help

I tried posting this on the Newbie forum, but got no replies so I thought I’d try under this one. After having gone through a total nightmare with Windows recently (been a Windows user since 1991), I am making a complete switch to Linux. I am going to need to some help since I am starting below ground zero, that is, I am having to install some hard drives on my computer as well as a PCI serial ATA card (the old drives were removed as they have good data that I will need to pull off later, after Linux is up and running). Is there a website out there that provides in depth instructions for hardware installation, setup, and configuring or a good book that does the same, written in laymen’s terms? Also, how do I do this seeing how I am going straight into a Linux system . . . drivers, etc.? Though I am computer literate as far as using one, I am not literate when it comes to rebuilding a computer and getting it set up for installing an operating system. The tech I was using had a stroke recently and he is now out of the picture. I farm and log with mules in a very rural area, finding techs are hard, so I committed to doing this myself.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

All of us here were new to Linux at one time, so we know how you feel. The link in my signature will provide you with a great deal of information on getting started with Linux. For configuring hardware, many items will configure themselves through automated processes, while others might have to be configured through various GUI tools, or done manually from the command line. The majority of hardware drivers come included within the Linux kernel, although certain video and network drivers might need to be added manually.

The best way to get started is to determine which distribution you want to start with, download the ISO file, burn it to disk as an image, and then boot your newly created installation disk so that you can install the distribution. You can also try a few Linux liveCDs first if you want to see how they might look or work before you install them.

Best of luck to you with all of it.
    oz

Since you sent me a pm. I will keep this in the forum so other folks can benefit from this.

On the IDE hardrive you want to install on theis desktop. Check the jumpers on the hardrive you are replacing and see if they are jumpered for cable select, slave, or Master. Write it down . On the IDE connector ribbon cable where it plugs in to your old drive you are replacing. Mark the cable connector with a felt tip pen. That way you will remember the exact connector.

Then install the new/used hardrive

I want to install a hard drive (it’s a used 80 gig IDE) and use it as an OS drive onl
    into the same ide connector you unplugged the old drive from making sure the jumpers match with the old setup. Get the idea?

From there I intend to install a PCI serial ATA card and then install a 640 gig Sata drive, which will be partioned for various purposes.
    If your motherboard supports sata interface then go for it. I kinda doubt it does though because my IBM M41 Desktop which is all IDE does not. No matter what pci card is plugged into it. The board supports IDE, not Sata. Maybe more knowledgeable minds than mine can chime in on this one. I tried installing a PCI USB 2.0 card and the board only recognised the card as USB 1.1. See what I mean?

How do I access the bios to know if it sees it
    At the boot prompt screen you should see press F1,F2, or F12 or DEL or some key to access bios. Google your computer make and model and find which key to press. Example search: Bios (make and model of computer goes here)

This leads to another question? With the old OS gone (Once I am up and running with Linux I need to go back into my old master drive and remove the data files, which are fine, it just cannot boot into Windows…. the cause of the crash) how does the monitor, mouse, and keyboard work to do this?
    You can use your Linux live cd running in live mode to pull off data off the old drive. You should do this first before installing the used 80 gig drive you want to install. The live cd will run independent of the installed hardrive and you can pull off your data in windows on that drive to lets say a external uSB drive.

Keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc should run fine while running as a live cd.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

Is there a basic hardware for dummies book or website that gives real basic lessons on hardware installation and setup?
    Install Hard Drive - A guide to installing a hard drive (IDE)

YouTube - ViewDo: How To Install/Replace a Hard Drive (PATA)

http://i46.tinypic.com/nn1yts.jpg
    Last edited by rokytnji; 06-23-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home